Unfortunately, clarity and word choice failed him. “This isn’t how or when I wanted to do this,” he told her.
wallbash He is going to do something stupid.

Reader:Clark if it isn't "how" or "when" you want, then just plain don't.

“But there is something I need to say.”
wallbash He is going to do something so stupid, he will be lucky if Lois ever forgives him.

Lois looked up at him with a torn expression. He could see anticipation, as if she knew what he was about to do, as well as a hint of panic in her eyes. Additionally, her heartbeat increased.
Considering their actual experience, and the clothes she brought to the Lexor, it makes sense that Lois might expect what is coming.

One would think he had never done this before. Then he realized he hadn’t… well, not quite like this, not with Lois.
Why is he such a lunkhead?

Lois nodded. “Okay. Fine. Spill it. Let’s get this over with.” She waved him on.
Clark, just stop. Just stop. Think before you act.

Clark paused as he gazed at Lois. He knew that this would be difficult, being that she was already in shellshock due to Luthor’s proposal, but he had to try.
No, no you don't.

If he didn’t speak up and tell her now, he would regret it for the rest of his life.
No, he will be glad for not being a total lunkhead.

He discovered he was staring at her once again. He turned his face up to the light blue sky and hoped a small dose of sunshine would give him the courage to speak the words he had wanted to say since he first met Lois.
Then tell her that Clark, tell her "I have wanted to do this for months, but I knew I should wait longer, but with things going how they are now, I fear I will never get a chance."

He only wished Luthor hadn’t forced his hand, as this wasn't the way he wanted to do this.
Then don't do it Clark. Oh why, why is he such a lunkhead?

Clark took another steadying breath, more nervous than he had been the day he had “proposed” to Lana.
wallbash This is a horrible plan.

‘Promises should never be given lightly,’ he could remember his mother saying to him.
Then don't ask for them lightly either. Oh, this is such a trainwreck.

Now that Clark thought about it, Lana never gave the ring back after she broke up with him due to his becoming Superman, either.
Well, at least that means he does not have it here to use as a stand in ring.

When he still hadn’t said anything after a minute, Lois smiled at him with encouragement, sending a new course of butterflies through his stomach. He could do this.
wallbash Lois, don't encourage him.

Clark took Lois’s hands in his. “I have loved you since the first moment I saw you. You are intelligent and brave and beautiful and selfless and funny, a true friend and partner.”
Clark, stop, just stop. She is in shock. You have surprised her too much.

He wished her announcement hadn't knocked him sideways and that he had the time to fly out to Smallville to discuss or practice this spur-of-the-moment speech with Martha.
Clark, there is always time.

“This isn’t the right time, or the right place, or the manner in which I would want to do this, Lois.
wallbash this is a horrible plan.

Yet, I cannot – in good conscience – let you
wallbash wallbash wallbash wallbash wallbash wallbash This is just a horrible line. Clark, you have no control over her actions.

John Pack Lambert