Originally posted by TOC:
[QB] Jackie, I still think you are saying that Lois and Clark stories are about Clark, and the reason it is interesting to kill Lois is just that she is the most important thing to him. The way I read you, you are not saying that Lois and Clark are equal partners, and that it would be equally interesting to kill Clark to see how Lois would react as it would be to kill Lois to explore Clark's grief.
Nope. smile I'm saying that SOME Lois and Clark stories are going to focus just on Clark, for whatever reason. And I'm trying to explain to you why I don't believe that killing Lois is just a plot ploy or a result of cheapening her value. Not every Lois and Clark story is about Lois and Clark as a couple in the present. Some of us want to explore one side of that coin or the other, or explore what happens when one side of the coin goes missing.

I don't see where each and every story must give Lois and Clark equal screen time, equal font size in the credits, and identical on set trailers. smile That does not equal a view that Lois is less important overall.

I think that we are helping to endanger the Clark we love by killing the Lois he loves. Kill her a sufficient number of times when many others out there would like to kill her anyway, and our wish to see her killed may come true. And then the Clark we love will have to go, too.
I heartily disagree and here is why: The Superman mythology has become part of our culture. It's a symbol that is recognized by millions... much like the symbol of two small circles on top of another that stands for Mickey Mouse. Because the mythology belongs to all of us, we each get to interpret it and play with it as we wish. The "downside" to that is that we give up control over the mythology as a whole. Because it belongs to all of us, no one individual, or group, or even DC/Warner brothers gets to dictate to everyone else how it is seen. "Your Clark" will forever live in your life. Even if individuals in fandom drift away from a similiar view, your individual ownership of the characters as you see them remain.

Jackie

Jackie N.
jacalynsue@zoominternet.net