Originally posted by ccmalo:
Fair enough. The mbs has "an orginal fic" category to encourage writer's more creative endeavours. Nothing wrong with writing what you want at all, but perhaps it's not unreasonable to hope that a writer might respect the feelings of those who want only to read "Lois and Clark" fic? Isn't it possible to do both?
But why do I have to avoid writing stories where Martha dies just because reader X detests that? As long as I write well, isn't it okay for me to explore that angle of Clark's character? Or do I have to avoid it because I'm contributing to a movement to go back to the days where the Kents died when Clark was still a young man? That's the point I'm trying to make: I don't think it's fair to call for fewer stories with plot A in them. It is perfectly fair to have readers choose not to read them.

I'm less comfortable with the suggestion that we not be critical of what we read. Do we want to stifle discussion about style, plot, characterization, etc? The mbs would be a boring place were that to occur, not to mention we'd lose the opportunity to get critiques of our work. smile
It's one thing to ask for feedback. If the author wants that, I say that's great. But I object to the individual with a mission statement of pointing out each and every time a story kills off Martha in an "insensitive" way. In that case, I don't think it is really feedback to an author, but something else I can't figure out a name for.

And that, too, is different from someone saying "I FELT that Martha's death wasn't given enough attention. As a reader, I anticipated there would be more time spent showing us the immediate aftermath, including the funeral. That said, I really liked how you showed Jonathan handling the situation at the lawyer's office......"

In this example, we don't have an effort to show the writer "Where the writer went wrong" but an effort to convey to the writer the READING EXPERIENCE that ONE individual had. That reader also makes an effort to praise the parts that they did find satisfying. To me, this type of feedback is an entirely different thing. And while this type of feedback is fine and welcome by most writers, implying that a writer is contributing to the demise of Clark's parents in fandom is outside the bounds, in my opinion. I know that opinion is not shared by everyone and I respect that, too.

With respect to the few stories i've written, I've always wanted to know if readers perceived my characters as "in character" and whether I've done right by them. If the style is okay, the plot logical, character motivation made sense, etc. If readers only gush (which of course if very wonderful smile ), then how would I ever know? Sometimes the criticsim of my stories has been rough, but I've learned from it and adjusted stories to try to take into account various concerns.
Again, you asked for that type of feedback, so the rules are different. And you were seeking out the experience and perceptions of the readers. And, I might add, you were not asking if the topic iteslf was okay to explore!

But in addition to the Constructive Criticism, isn't it also helpful to have someone point out where you handled a transition well, or provided enough description to place the writer in the scene? Why are only the "problems" worthy of attention? I think we can learn just as much by looking at what was done well. If there are two scenes with Jonathan, one at Martha's bedside, and another at the lawyer's office, isn't it just as helpful to hear how the dialogue worked in one case and use that as a model of what one should try for in the scene that wasn't perceived as you intended?

Likewise, if a reader finds certain types of story don't fit with his/her view of how fandom as a whole should be, why doesn't that reader just seek out and praise the "good stories" and let the rest collect dust? Is it really worth telling a writer that their topic choice is contributing to a backward movement in the mythology?

And I don't want this to imply that I am speaking only about a particular individual in this discussion. I'm not trying to pick on anyone or single anyone out. --hence my choice to make Martha my example! I just want to explain why I do not agree with the point of view of those who have stated they intend to point out these problems/concerns in every instance they find them. They are within their rights to do so, but I think it will only result in hurt feelings, less creativity, and fewer stories. I hope I'm wrong.

Jackie

Jackie N.
jacalynsue@zoominternet.net