And returning to that debate...

...you bring up an interesting point, Terry, on who exactly merits the label deathfic. I thought I had an easy answer to it, but then I started typing and it got more complicated as I went along. goofy

I personally wouldn't count any villain in a series. Mainly because I think part of their purpose in being there at all is to die. <g> The hero has to triumph over them. Sometimes that means they get led off to prison. Sometimes it involves a more painful exit.

Other than that, for LNC, I'd consider it a deathfic if any of the principle characters die. That would be Lois, Clark, Jimmy, Perry, Martha, Jonathan, Cat...think that's everyone. As with any such lists, I'm now convinced I've forgotten someone. laugh

However, I think a deathfic is about more than just the characters chosen to die. I think for a story to be labelled a deathfic it has to be specifically about the character's death and how people react to it.

I've read many stories, for example, where Jonathan dies or Perry dies during the story, but it's part of a wider story and not the whole focus of it. And it's never struck me as I read that these are deathfic.

Having said that - as my mind grows ever more fuzzy on this issue where once there was clarity wink - if it was Lois or Clark who died - in any story - I'd probably consider it deathfic.

Does that makes sense?

Thought not.

huh

Right. Okay. The conclusion I've reached then...

...nope. I got nothing.

LabRat (off to have breakfast and watch Judge Judy instead, which seems to be the extent of her mental limits right now laugh )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers