For me, it's not the skill of the writer, but the subject- death is death, well written or not. With death there is no curtain call, no second chance, no eraser on the end of your pencil. Once death has come,no tears, or shouts to heaven,will ever, ever change a thing.Death means you are out of time, eternally ,forever, fin.Where is the hope in that?
I think ths is my issue with deathfic. I like hope. A lot. And I like happy endings. Okay, the follow might sound completely dumb, but what the hay: The first time I ever complained about happy endings was right before I saw Disney's Pocahontas. The complete butchering of history that that story was aside, when the hero and the heroine didn't live happily ever after in the end, I was crushed. The sequel only made it worse. She fell in love with someone else?! What?! That's not the Disney ending! I want my Disney ending. Alright I was seven okay, give me a break.

Now to bring this back to the point, there are some couples that are like a Disney ending for me was in that moment. Solid. Dependable. Full of life and possibility and smiles. So when soulmates die, I don't want to know about it. I don't even really want to know about it when they're seperated until they're old and gray, or when they're horribly and permanently scarred. No, I much rather see them when, for example, they go through a long and painful trial and wind up learning their lesson and loving each other more. Because you know what? I know that the world is a big, scary place. I know that people die and you run out of second chances and some monsters and nightmares are all too real. So, on principle, I understand and even support the "this is real life" argument. But that doesn't mean I have to read it or like it.