61) Lords of the Desert: Britain’s Struggle with America to Dominate the Middle East by James Barr this can be viewed as a continuation of Barr’s previous book A Line in the Sand: Britain, France and the Struggle that Shaped the Middle East. I thoroughly enjoyed the first one so I had certain expectations of this one and in the end I was rather disappointed. While a great overview of the event during and after World War II, I also felt it was rather rushed rather than concise and clear.

62) Taiwan’s Statesman: Lee Teng-Hui and Democracy in Asia by Richard C. Kagan Lee’s recent death triggered an outpouring of grief in Taiwan (known formally as The Republic of China). Widely regarded as the man who finally brought democracy to Taiwan as the first democratically elected president (as well as being the first to be born in Taiwan), Lee’s rise was not without its troubles. This though isn’t just a short biography of Lee, but it also outlines the tumultuous social and political history of Taiwan from the early years of Dutch occupation through to how Taiwan would become embroiled in the debate of whether or not it belongs to Mainland China.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller