I read too much to keep track. I think this one is about #65 this year for me.

I want to recommend When There Is No Applause by Rene Gutteridge, pub. 2019 by Writing Momentum LLC. This book is written to writers, for writers, by a writer. Here's her dedication.

To all those who are courageous enough to bleed onto the page.

How can you not love that?

The first chapter is titled "Dear White Page." It's a letter to the blank page facing the writer at the beginning of the writing session, whether it be on a word processor, a typewriter, or a legal pad.

Every chapter - all of which are posts from her blog - is an absolute gem. They're never dull, never boring, and my Kindle tells me the reading time is forty-three minutes. Anyone can get through that.

Don't misunderstand. This book is not about the writing craft, it's about the life of a writer and how very difficult it can be on any number of levels. But there are some good tips in there disguised as "just chatting," both for writing and for life, and they're valuable. Rene's books are well-written, tightly woven, interesting, and easy to read. This one is no exception.

I recommend it to anyone who is writer, a reader, or in need of a time-filler. And let me know how you like it.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing