3) Just as you are by Pepper Basham

Technically, I didn't finish it. A few chapters into it, I was sick of hearing about how the FMC is Appalachian (do Appalachians really refer to themselves as such in nearly every conversation they ever have, even if its with someone they've previously explained it to? It is apparently why she is a klutz and can't think before she speaks, among other things. I'm not Appalachian and I can't say if I know any, but it seemed so demeaning.). But I stuck it out because I was intrigued by the description of the plot - country girl happens to run into movie star and they solve a mystery. But things were happening so s l o w l y ... I started skimming about a third of the way into the book, and didn't feel like I missed anything. I continued skimming until I realized how cheesy everything was becoming and I stopped reading at about the two thirds mark. I bet I can tell you whats going to happen in the end. It was disappointing, especially since I've read some other Basham books that were amazing.

(This on the heels of starting and not finishing two other books that lost me before the end of chapter two... I'm beginning to question my ability to choose books to read...)

EDIT: I got stuck in a place with no wifi or physical book for hours and this was the only book downloaded on my phone. So I finished it. It continued to be cheesy, I wasn't surprised by the events that took place, but it did a fine job of keeping me busy. Also, in the author's notes, I read that she is Appalachian and am even more baffled by the way it was handled in the book...

Last edited by JellyS2; 02/11/20 01:47 AM.

"Oh my gosh! Authors really do use particular words on purpose!" ~Me, when I started writing a book.