A long time ago I decided the recipe for B'stilla was too long and complicated and started taking shortcuts. It cut down the time it took to make the pie, and cut out a lot of the work, and as far as I can tell, it tastes just the same. Anyhow, I finally wrote down my recipe when the women from my husband's office asked for it, so I'll just copy and paste it here.

B'stilla (Moroccan Chicken Pie)

This recipe is adapted from the traditional Moroccan dish, which involves a lot more work. I'll give their recipe and my own changes in parentheses. I think you'll agree that mine is a lot easier.

B'stilla (Pronounced "Pastilla")

Part 1

2 broilers or 1 large chicken, and giblets (I use 4 or 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 1/2 cup of chicken bouillon and a package of chicken livers)
2 1/2 T butter
1 lg onion, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp powdered saffron (optional)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
4 T finely chopped fresh Italian parsley

(Feel free to adjust the amounts of the spices to suit yourself. They aren't set in stone.)

Part 2

7 -- 8 eggs
12 T butter, melted. (My method: Use butter-flavored spray instead. It's a lot easier and a lot lower in fat and calories)
16 sheets of fillo (or fila) pastry -- can be purchased in most supermarkets, in the freezer section.
1 to 2 T sugar
cinnamon to taste
2 packages of sliced or slivered almonds, sauteed in a little butter.
1 egg yolk, beaten to glaze
Granulated sugar, cinnamon and powdered sugar to garnish.

Preparation of Part 1:

Original Method:

Wash the broilers or chicken. Quarter them and simmer with giblets in a very little water with butter, onion, seasonings and parsley for about 2 hours until meat falls off the bones. Add a little more water as required. When cooked, drain off stock and reserve. Skin and bone the chicken and cut the meat into smallish pieces.

(My Method:

Simmer chicken breasts, chicken livers and bouillon with butter, onion, seasonings and parsley for about 2 hours in covered pan until meat is tender. Add a little water as required. When cooked, drain off stock and reserve. Cut meat into small pieces.)

Preparation of Part 2:

Saute' the almonds in a little butter until lightly browned. Set aside.

Take about 1/2 cup of the stock and beat it well with the eggs. Season to taste with salt and pepper, pour into a small pan and stir over low heat until mixture is creamy and nearly set. (Don't worry if it looks like half-cooked scrambled eggs when you're done. It doesn't affect the result.) The eggs and the meat constitute the filling of the pie.

Original Method:

Brush a large pan or oven dish with melted butter. Fit a sheet of fillo in the dish so that the ends fold well up and overlap the edges. If this is not possible, use overlapping sheets of fillo. Lay 6 sheets of pastry on top of each other, brushing melted butter evenly between each layer.

(My Method: Use the butter flavored spray on the dish and between each layer of fillo pastry. It's much easier and lower in fat.)

Sprinkle the top layer with granulated sugar, cinnamon and sauteed almonds. Spread a little more than half the egg mixture evenly over this and sprinkle with a little of the remaining chicken stock.

Cover with 4 sheets of fillo pastry each brushed with butter (or sprayed with butter-flavored spray). These don't have to overlap the edges. I usually find that a sheet of fillo just covers the top of the pie.

Lay the pieces of meat neatly over the top, using all of the meat and seasoning mixture, and cover with the rest of the egg mixture. Sprinkle with a little more chicken stock. Cover with remaining fillo sheets, each brushed with butter, or sprayed with butter-flavored spray. Tuck the overlapping edges of fillo pastry over the top layers.

Paint the top with beaten egg yolk to glaze and bake at 350 to 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Then turn oven to 425 degrees for 15 minutes or until pastry is crisp and a deep golden color.

Sprinkle with granulated sugar and cinnamon. Top with powdered sugar.

Hint: Don't be stingy with the toppings. They really enhance the flavor of the pie.

So there it is. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't turn out perfect the first time. It still tastes good, and I can guarantee you'll get better with practice.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.