That said, my own (I should disclaim) entirely subjective perception is that there is perhaps less benefit of the doubt in this fandom with respect to certain plots or at least a great deal of expressed skepticism. Because of that, it is a tribute to the excellent writing of some daring fanfics that they've managed to be read and loved despite how they walk the line between what is "canon" and what is not (be it in characterization and/or plot).
In the past, FoLCdom has certainly been much less tolerant of fanfic outside the box or its comfort zone than most other fandoms. And that box was often a pretty small one. wink

I don't really know the reasons for that, there are probably many, but I have been delighted to see new authors over the years push the boundaries and expand that box ever more large.

Certainly many of the stories posted here in the last year or two would have been met with furious debate, complaints and even flame wars in the past. It's liberating that that's no longer the case and that stories are allowed to push the envelope, be a little daring or experimental, with more acceptance and tolerance, or at the very least a willingness to follow along with the author and go along for the ride.

We're not all the way into complete tolerance (I suspect there are still subjects and situations which are the norm to write about in other fandoms which would still meet with resistance here - slash for example I can't ever see getting rave reviews in FoLCdom <G>), but we've come a long way, baby. laugh Stories that a few years back were controversial would barely raise the flicker of an eyebrow if posted now.

And it's wonderful to see it happen. thumbsup

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers