don't think it's deviation from canon that's concerning, just deviation from the show entirely. And even then, there's wide latitude in what subjects you can tackle.
Yup, that's pretty much it.

I remember a discussion once about whether to allow a story which was set in the comics universe & featured Superman and WonderWoman. I *think* they did allow it, though I wouldn't bet anything important on it, but it just goes to show you have to go to quite an extreme before they start judging by content.
Yes, you're right, we did.

IIRC, it was a short story about Superman grieving for the death of Lois and Wonder Woman coming over to comfort him.

My feeling was that while the Superman character didn't have any characteristics that would especially mark him out as the Superman of LNC, he didn't have any characteristics that marked him as not being the Superman of LNC either. laugh The author claimed it was the Superman of LNC and there was nothing to contradict him.

The presence of Wonder Woman didn't especially mark it out as a non-LNC story because, of course, it had been established on the show that Gotham City and Batman existed in LNC's world. So, if they did, why not Wonder Woman? <g>

Also, IIRC it was quite short and was focused on the two characters, so there were no background details that would tell you you were in world of the comics. Or LNC's world either.

So, I figured so long as the readers could imagine him as their Superman and there was nothing to jar them out of that, it was good to go. You're right that it was probably the most borderline story we've hosted.

Lisa more or less has it right, too. Most deviations in characterisations we'd probably put down to Elseworld.

Authors should remember that the Archive hosts stories about the characters from LOIS AND CLARK only and not just stories about any Superman and Lois and try to fit within those parameters. If, for instance, the characters were clearly those of Superman Returns or the comics with no LNC content whatsoever the story would be rejected. Using the characters of other Superman versions, in conjunction with the characters of LNC (crossover)is, of course, fine. But we would like to see a significant LNC content.

But if you're setting out to write about our Lois and our Clark, intending to write a LNC story, then you'd probably have to go off at a very large tangent to not be accepted. laugh

Oh, and just to add - we got snow today, too! dance Homer is ecstatic. <g> You just have to mention the word snow to him and he grabs for his nearest toy and goes ape. We had to laugh though - our garden is under several inches of snow and we sat there listening to the weatherman tell us there was snow in our area "but it's not settling". Oh yeah? laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers