I think this is the key. Not so much that people aren't willing to deviate from canon, but that they're less willing to embrace deviation from their vision of the particular characters.
But canon is regularly cited as the basis of that. That's what I'm referring to. Not simply that people see characters differently, but that they hold canon up before the whole subjective nature of it even gets stated (though to be fair someone eventually brings it up every time). And before I continue I should also make the distinction that by canon I'm referring to the question "would this happen in the series?"

I definitely was not considering rehashings of certain events as not being canon. To consider things like a first kiss or the revelation as a deviation from canon because it didn't happen exactly like in the series is defining "canon" too broadly and what space would such a definition leave for fanfic? No, I'm referring to the subjective views of characters and events which are tied down to canon for legitimacy.

And ultimately, I'm not being prescriptive and pushing for a free-for-all. We as fans obviously have limits and canon maps out these limits (even if hazily at times). That said, my own (I should disclaim) entirely subjective perception is that there is perhaps less benefit of the doubt in this fandom with respect to certain plots or at least a great deal of expressed skepticism. Because of that, it is a tribute to the excellent writing of some daring fanfics that they've managed to be read and loved despite how they walk the line between what is "canon" and what is not (be it in characterization and/or plot).

To go very briefly back on topic, I'm suprised that there aren't that many Lois moves on fics. On the fly, I'm assuming writers think of Superman's physical invincibility first before thinking of Lois' emotional hardiness. The whole "punishing" Lois though kinda disturbs me; the idea of writing a fic with punishment in mind is...curious. It conjures up this idea of a flat view of the characters, where punishment is needed because there is no reason for the wrong comitted. If a writer does the opposite, fleshing out the characters in their good and their bad qualities, why would there be a need for "punishment"? Wouldn't things just take their own logical course?

And now back to unpacking. smile

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png