We writers and readers of FOLCdom have the opportunity to present our characters in whatever manner we choose.
Yes, we do. And we also have to right to interpret Clark and Lois as we see fit. My interpretation of Lois or Clark should not be forced to conform with anyone elses. And your (collectively you) interpretation should not be forced to conform with mine. And along the same idea, just because I like Clark more, doesn’t mean that anyone else should. And just because someone else likes Lois more, doesn’t mean that I should be forced to think about her the same way.

I seem to recall MLT making some observation about her limited deity in regards to the written word (and I, for one, thought it was funny), and that's a very good description of our function as authors.
Yes, exactly. But I’ve still seen comments from both readers and writers that take offense when Lois and Clark do something that is not ‘canon’ or is ‘out of character’. In reality, any of us who write are stretching canon (in one way you could say we are all writing an elseworld fic) and those who read it are willing to read any fanfiction are also willing, at least in some way, to tolerate that stretching of canon. And ‘character’ is, as always, a matter of interpretation to each individual.

Maybe we should write more and gripe less.
Well said, Terry. I pretty much thought this is what you meant:
I was merely commenting on the intensity of the opinions expressed in this thread, not the content nor the fact that many of us have differing opinions.
I think it's simply a problem of education. I'm sure that most kids (and certainly the adults who do it) just aren't aware that it's a dangerous thing to do. They undoubtedly see it as completely harmless to set off a hydrant to cool off the kids - just bit of fun. How can spraying water around be dangerous?
Until you mentioned it, LabRat, I would never have thought of this as anything but cute. I've learned something.

I have written before that if everyone on this board liked exactly the same kind of story and every writer wrote just like every other writer, this would be a boring place to visit. All
Exactly!! So why do some folks get so upset if someone expresses an opposite viewpoint?

All I wanted to suggest was that maybe some of us are more strident in expressing our opinions than is necessary to make our points.
Yeah, maybe some of us do. Guilty. blush

I was doing just as you were doing, Arwan. I was expressing my opinion. My opinion is not inherently more 'correct' than yours any more than yours is inherently more 'correct' than mine. I find the intense discussion of the minutia of Lois and Clark alternately amusing and slightly disturbing. Some come across as holding 'the right opinion' on certain subjects, and others disagree with those folks more enthusiastically than I like.
I’ve found that I can say some little something and think it means nothing and it starts a firestorm.... And that totally wasn’t my intent at all.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~