The fire hydrant? You mean as in, “Look, there’s an elephant?”
I mean Superman interfering with city workers and setting off a fire hydrant just so the local kids can cool off in the heat in MoSB.
Gotcha... The ‘Look, there’s an elephant’ fiasco. (That’s what he said to distract the kids while he opened the fire hydrant. It’s not in the script.)

Quite possible, I’m not been a Folc that long, but I’ve noticed that what is considered inconsistent differ very much between different people...
Yes, it is, and we all interpret the characters differently - sometimes VERY differently. Like, for instance, I can’t help but allow my love of all the genres of Superman (LnC is still my favorite) to put a spin on how I see things (much to the chagrin of a few other folks).

For example, many people consider Lois marriage to Luthor out of her character, it never was to me, I found it a quite plausible development given the circumstances, when I explain why, several people seems to agree with me.
I don’t find it out of character either. Lois had given up on love and was willing to ‘settle’ for something less.

There are plenty of moments in S1 where Lois shows kindness, but she does seem to try to hide it, presumably because she believe it makes her look weak.
Yes, I guess that’s what I getting at.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~