In the inky blueness of the pre-dawn sky, Superman hovered in the air over the bay near Pier 31.
What? We skipped ahead. I was thinking we would not get to the point of reckoning in this section.

At around eleven the previous night,
smile1 we get some recap. I was figuring there needed to be more after what Lois told Clark.

Superman could have easily caught him and brought him back to face his bribery charges, for which they had photographic evidence from Lois’s “night of relaxation” in the honeymoon suite, but Clark figured his time and efforts were better spent searching for Rourke.
Harrington will find it hard to stay in hiding long. It will at least be incompatible with staying in congress.

That had been the moment when he realized who Lois’s “skittish source” she had gone to meet that afternoon had been. She had gone, on her own, to see Luthor, and she hadn’t planned to tell her partner about it. Clark knew he shouldn’t have felt surprised, but he had once again let himself be sideswiped by this revelation. She claimed to want to be in an intimate relationship with him, but she was still keeping secret her meetings with a man whom Clark didn't trust.
Lois: Wait, how does my meeting with Luthor have any relevance here. Luthor is just a source, nothing more. I most definately do not want a realtionship with him.

Reader:I have to agree with Lois here. I think Clark is expecting to be able to control too much of what Lois does.

How could he confide in her his biggest secret, or second biggest secret, if she continued to show blatant disregard for his insight regarding Luthor?
Since she has not revealed anything about him to Luthor since back during the Metro Club investigation, I really do not think this objection makes sense at all.

He heard a sigh from down on the docks and instantly knew who it was.
Lois: smile1 Superman recognizes me. Wait, maybe this is a bad thing when I am sneaking around.

Clark:Maybe I need to tell you a secret.

Lois:What?

Clark:Ah, it is hard to say, let me think how to tell you it.

Lois:What you expect me to be patient. grumble

Clark:Yes.

Lois: You really do live in la-la land.

Superman had offered to take Lois out of the city for her protection, and she had refused.
Lois: He really does not understand me at all.

She would leave, only after he had removed all the other residents of Metropolis.
Sounds reasonable to me.

John Pack Lambert