Another thing that irked me was Harry's final stand against Snape. Maybe this has something to do with what someone pointed out earlier - that Harry doesn't deal too well with panic. But why didn't he try the spells non-verbally? Surely that would have worked.
Aria explained very well why he didn't try it up in the Astronomy Tower. But it seems to me that you are wondering about the scene outside Hagrid's hut, where he's trying to attack Snape. If that's the case, I'd like to point out something to you.

From Book 6, Chapter 28:
...Mustering all his powers of concentration, Harry thought, Levi -

"No, Potter!" screamed Snape. There was a loud BANG and Harry was soaring backward, hitting the ground hard again...
So Harry DID try a nonverbal spell, but Snape repelled it.

My latest thought is, I don't get why Snape tried to stop Quirrell from stealing the stone in Book 1 if he's really been on Voldey's side all this time.
From Book 6, Chapter 2, Snape talking:
..."I think you next wanted to know," he pressed on, a little more loudly, for Bellatrix showed every sign of interrupting, "why I stood between the Dark Lord and the Sorcerer's Stone. That is easily answered. He did not know whether he could trust me. He thought, like you, that I had turned from faithful Death Eater to Dumbledore's stooge. He was in a pitiable condition, very weak, sharing the body of a mediocre wizard. He did not dare reveal himself to a former ally if that ally might turn him over to Dumbledore or the Ministry. I deeply regret that he did not trust me. He would have returned to power three years sooner. As it was, I saw only greedy and unworthy Quirrell attempting to steal the stone and, I admit, I did all I could to thwart him."...
See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...