I find it very hard to believe that anyone over the age of 12 would read these books.
What? You've never read LoTR? Or anything in the fantasy genre? There are a lot of angles to enjoy the books from. Everyone can get something out of it. You don't have to be physically a kid.

Haven't you ever heard of the phrase "a child at heart?"

I guess I was just blessed (or cursed) with a huge amount of imagination, but I find it difficult to really enjoy books that are not in the sci-fi/fantasy/horror genres.

There are some exceptions (Dean Koontz, for example, but he often uses supernatural/sci-fi elements in his stories, and some of the earlier Tom Clancy books were good). However, unless a general fiction book is very well-written, I tend to find them extremely boring.

I don't want to read about reality, I read to escape from reality. But maybe that's just me.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2