Okay... finished a bit ago and dove straight into this thread. I've kinda pieced together my reply as I was reading the thread so forgive anything incoherent or repeated.

I kind of felt cheated by this book... while a great deal did happen, not much did. Someone earlier said that this all just seemed like a set up for book seven, JKR moving her chess pieces into place. Harry learned a great deal, but he didn't *do* anything. Though I guess seeing Voldemort might get tiring if we see it every time... it's just... I felt like I read this only to get background information and to watch Dumbledore's death, at which I didn't even cry because I was expecting it not to be real somehow. frown

I have to agree with Karen on the fanfic quality... that going hand in hand with Chris's thoughts about the Ginny/Harry relationship being contrived. As with his relationship/feelings for Cho, I thought it was pretty much out of the blue. Sure, it's normal (Iā€™m guessing) for a teenage boy to have a few different crushes and what not... but when someone with such a tortured life as Harry has little bursts of moments being a teenager (aside from his appalling stubbornness in OotP razz ), it's jarring for me. Which is why it started reading a bit like fanfic. Dark, tortured hero finds true love and sets out on his quest to defeat the bad guy. I'm sorry... doesn't *quite* work for me with Harry Potter. Didn't hate it, though. smile I haven't read any HP fic (other than bits of DD's Inbox and Nekkid Quidditch), so I thought Karen had meant fanfic in general as opposed to HP fic, as many people thought. huh

As for Snape... I still, like others, want to believe that Snape is a good guy at heart. I think it's Dumbledore's insistence that's tripping me up on believing, after everything that's happened, that Snape isn't evil after all. Can't remember who said it, but I like the idea that Dumbledore was pleading for Snape to kill him... hard to believe... but makes a bit of sense in a way. I don't think we've found out the reason for Dumbledore's staunch belief in Snape. My only theory... They made an unbreakable vow. (And I now read someone else thought of that one, too smile )

Meanwhile, I'm guessing that Dumbledore has arranged something like a Horcrux with Fawkes the phoenix. I'm predicting that when Fawkes flew away at the end, he's carrying Dumbledore's spirit or something. Dumbledore had assured Snape that in "killing" him it would only be temporary.
I really like this prediction, Lynn (and Emily, too). Let's hope it's true. Then of course there's Paul's *excellent* point about what Dumbledore told Draco. Very interesting. And JKR does like to plant clues...

Everyone's speculations (thanks for that link, Joy!) answered most of my questions, but the one thing still burning in my mind: Why on earth did this book start with the Ministry alliance between wizards and muggles? There has to be a reason.

Chris said, and Roger commented:

I really don't get the sense that Harry is up there with them, so how he is going to tackle Voldemort is beyond me, at least at present.)

I wouldn't exactly say that Harry has trouble learning his spells like Ron. Harry's done pretty well on his O.W.L's and has gotten some pretty decent grades overall with an Outstanding on his Defense Against the Dark Arts. That's Harry's special talent.
Roger has a good point, and what he said made me realize something. Yes, Harry may not be able to defeat Voldemort on his own, but that's why his friends have vowed to stand by and fight with him. Together, they are stronger than alone... Oy... and I say that after my complaint about this being fanfic-y. :rolleyes:

Another thing that irked me was Harry's final stand against Snape. Maybe this has something to do with what someone pointed out earlier - that Harry doesn't deal too well with panic. But why didn't he try the spells non-verbally? Surely that would have worked. confused

My latest thought is, I don't get why Snape tried to stop Quirrell from stealing the stone in Book 1 if he's really been on Voldey's side all this time.
I thought this was explained quite well in OotP, right? I'd have to back and check, but I'm pretty sure Snape or Dumbledore told Harry all this when he asked the same questions.

And I think that does it for my disjointed ramblings.

Sara (who would like to note that she *did* like the book... just felt cheated is all *sigh*)

EDIT: I forgot to mention one thought I had on the Ginny/Harry relationship... While it was unexpected, I didn't mind it so much. In fact, I rather like it considering he's always wanted a family and he's had those stirrings of love and affection for Mrs. Weasley and the rest of the clan. Wouldn't it just be fitting for him to actually become part of the family? smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
šŸ†2024 Kerth Award Posts šŸ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.