Actually, there's a very long tradition of fantasy for children being appreciated by adults. Long before JK Rowling. IMO, the very best of children's fantasy are the ones that can also be appreciated by the young at heart, no matter what their age. The Narnia novels are one example. Enjoyed by generations, from 8 - 80, as they say.

I worked in a library for ten years and I found more than once that the children's' fantasy authors wrote the most complex, enthralling stories I'd ever read. They can certainly hold their own among the adults. And sometimes they can beat them into a cocked hat.

For myself, I've never let it bother me what age group a book is supposedly aimed at. What matters to me, purely and simply, is whether it's a darn good rollicking tale.

And certainly for many adults and children the HP novels hit the spot.

I haven't actually been bitten by the HP bug. I may well read them at some point, but at the moment there are so many other books on my to read list that are ahead of them on the list.

Even so, I came into this thread because I'm intrigued by the discussion, regardless. Perhaps I might read something that sparks that interest. Who knows? Or maybe I'll just enjoy vicariously the sheer pleasure so many take in these novels and wish them well of it, remembering the pleasure I've taken in my own most favourite books.

Enthusiasm is always engaging imo. Whether you share it or not. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers