Originally posted by Krissie:
And Harry… Yes, he's brave and noble (when he's not trying to cast the cruciatus curse, that is), but he struggles to learn his spells. Compare that with what we know of Harry's parents, of Sirius, of Snape and Voldemort. They were all pretty creative in their own ways. I really don't get the sense that Harry is up there with them, so how he is going to tackle Voldemort is beyond me, at least at present.)
I wouldn't exactly say that Harry has trouble learning his spells like Ron. Harry's done pretty well on his O.W.L's and has gotten some pretty decent grades overall with an Outstanding on his Defense Against the Dark Arts. That's Harry's special talent. Only a wizard of great power could have produced a Patronus like he did. Of course he's no Hermione when it comes to sheer brilliance and magical ability, but he's still in the upper echelon of his class, and even Hermione couldn't compete with him in DADA. She only got an "Exceeds Expectations." He seems like he has trouble because he's inexperienced and is going up against the major baddies like Voldemort and now Snape, especially when he's using the Half-blood Prince's spells against him. Of course Snape blocks them with ease.

Now Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs were essentially a gang of troublemakers. They were very inventive in their spellcasting because they were "up to no good." wink Fred and George are the nearest comparison I'd make to that group. They're always trying to figure out unorthodox ways of doing things.

The most you can say of Harry is that he is not in the same vein as his father. Trouble finds him rather than the other way around. And he's muddled through quite well, going head-to-head with Voldemort four times and has come out on top 3 out of 4 times and has survived each encounter.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin