Just about everything I wanted to say has been said, but this summed it up for me:

I don't really think this one will be my favorite of the series. In fact, it's my least favorite. Not just because of the deaths, but because it seems like a fanfic, and not in a good way.
As I read the story, I kept looking at the cover to remind myself I wasn't reading something I'd stumbled across on the net.

I was a little surprised Dumbledore was killed, and I'm not sure if Snape is a goody or a baddy. I don't understand the reason for having Harry "carry on by himself." I've read an interview where JKR said it was more interesting for Harry to move forward alone than with Dumbledore as backup. If Harry's "power he knows not" is love, then does it make any sense to kill off everyone he loves? Also, he's not really alone, if Ron and Hermione are there with him. Snape was right when he said Harry has been lucky and surrounded by others more talented. Harry was pretty ineffective in those last chapters.

Anyone else find it strange that so many people in the books, by this age (ie sixteen) are experimenting with new spells, potions, exploring the limits of magic, etc... EXCEPT for Harry?

I was most disappointed in Hermione's character. Seemed a bit off somehow. In previous books, even if she didn't agree with Harry or what he was doing, she would always back him up. She didn't back him in anything in this book. Even about Draco. I found that extreamly odd. Her behavior in other instances was off as well. It was like another person all together.

Ships: Didn't really know what this term meant until a while ago, but I have to say, none of them made any sense to me.

Harry and Ginny? Of course, Ginny has had a thing for Harry for a while, but when has Harry ever seen anything in her? This seemed out of nowhere to me. I understand he's sixteen now, and the whole "raging hormones" thing. It still seemed out of the blue.

Ron and Hermione? They never actually hooked up, but I find the pairing questionable. Again, it's been easy to see that Ron has liked her for awhile now. I just don't see what Hermione would see in him? I took the time to re-read all the previous books before this one came out and by the end of OotP I was thinking "Wow - Harry and Hermione sure spend a lot of time together." and "Ron and Hermione don't do much except fight." Ron is about as opposite of Hermione as you can get. She sure came across as being jealous, though. I don't have anything against it, but it seems very strange to me that Hermione likes Ron in that way.

Lupin and Tonks. HUH? Gosh, I hate to go back and read OotP for a third time, but this one came out of nowhere and blind sided me.

Actually, all the pairings seem to come out of nowhere for me.

Also, where was Luna and Neville? We got a bit of Luna but not nearly enough. In OotP, Luna sort of seemed like she liked Ron, but that was almost non-existant in this book.

I don't know. This book is setting record sales, but I don't think it's that good. I think people are so anxious to see what happens next that they are buying it. (I checked my copy out of the library, and didn't have to purchase it). I'll probably read the seventh book, but I'm like many others, and not looking forward to it as much as I was the other books.

I'm still processing things, and I'm tempted to re-read it. It's not due back to the library until 8/6. I'm a bit troubled, and I don't really know why.

--
Jeff