I admit I have not read the book recently. But I could have sworn that the book ended with BB in a pasture of his long-ago owner's daughters. He was looking back on his life, reflecting, and said that he was content. I don't remember the book ending with his death.

The only death I remember was possibly Ginger's death. And then, it wasn't confirmed it was Ginger but perhaps another horse who happened to look like Ginger on the cart....
You've got it bang on. Although it is heavily implied that the dead horse is Ginger. Ginger's death is really the entire point of the book - the dreadful way that many horses were treated at that time.

The book was written by Anne Sewell because seeing these kinds of events on a daily basis distressed her so much that she wanted to prick the conscience of Victorian society. To an extent she did that and treatment for horses in many ways did improve as a result of the novel's huge success.

But Beauty doesn't die - you're right in that he ends his days dozing in the sun of his pasture, fussed over by the children of his previous owners. In fact, I think I'm right in saying at the end of the book he is even reunited with the little pony Merrylegs, who joins him in his blissful retirement. But that one I'm slightly more hazy on than Ginger and Beauty's fate.

The story has tragedy in it, but it doesn't end on a tragic, downbeat note or with a death.

Incidentally, you can download a free copy of the novel (along with many others which have no copyright attached) here at the wonderful
Project Gutenberg website. This site aims to gather all uncopyrighted material in one 'library' so that they can be freely accessed and either read online or downloaded to your pc.

Seems I got some of those details wrong - it's been decades since I read this one. But here are the final few paragraphs (with spoiler space for those who don't want to know <G>):

I have now lived in this happy place a whole year. Joe is the best and kindest of grooms. My work is easy and pleasant, and I feel my strength and spirits all coming back again. Mr. Thoroughgood said to Joe the other day:

"In your place he will last till he is twenty years old--perhaps more."

Willie always speaks to me when he can, and treats me as his special friend. My ladies have promised that I shall never be sold, and so I have nothing to fear; and here my story ends. My troubles are all over, and I am at home; and often before I am quite awake, I fancy I am still in the orchard at Birtwick, standing with my old friends under the apple-trees.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers