I can understand your frustration with Joss over the fate of Wash on the Firefly film "Serenity"...many fans were left angry and hurt by what happened, but you can believe it wasn't done 'just because he could'. Joss has never been one to kill of a character for random reasons...everything he does has a purpose. Doesn't mean you have to like his purpose, but it is there [Wink]
Just quickly because I don't want to drag the thread off topic but, sorry, tvnerdgirl, but I ain't buying that one. <g> I saw no reason whatsoever in Serenity for two characters to die. Those deaths didn't add anything to the plot for me and I saw absolutely no dramatic reason for them. To me, they were done for purely gratuitous shock value and nothing else. And, for me, JW does has a history of 'just because'. Remember Anya? It's a trait of his I've never admired. Angel - I'd long since given up on that show before we reached the finale, but that one I don't count in 'just because'. Doesn't mean because he had a reason (or might have had - it's ambiguous as you say) in Angel that the deaths in Buffy and Serenity had value. imo, they didn't at all.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers