The Bone House – Brian Freeman

An entertaining little thriller. It suffered quite a bit from Too Stupid To Live syndrome; I spent quite a bit of time muttering, “For pity’s sake, what are you doing that for? Are you thick?” as most every character did something with the totally predictable results of digging themselves deeper into the hole or putting themselves in mortal danger. And I sussed out two of the ‘twist’ characters right from the get go. Note to author: if you don’t want to tip your hand don’t make one of those characters a teen reporter who is puzzlingly uninterested in the fact that her roommate might have witnessed a murder, rather than being gung ho to investigate her first major scoop! :rolleyes:

But for all of these flaws, I found myself on the edge of my seat throughout and thoroughly enjoyed this one.

The Tudor Secret (Elizabeth’s Spymaster I) – Christopher Gortner

A thoroughly enjoyable historical mystery. The author takes a ‘what if’ and weaves real historical characters with that of his protagonist, Brendan Prescott, a foundling thrust into the intrigue and danger of the Tudor court. Gortner breathes new life into the characters we know so well and mingles them with engaging ones of his own.

While checking the author’s name on Amazon for this entry, I discovered to my delight that it’s apparently book one in a series. I’ll be eagerly awaiting the others when they appear.

Blood Harvest – S J Bolton

Part murder mystery, part supernatural thriller, this was a terrifically atmospheric, creepy little story, populated with thoroughly likeable characters and with the chills offset by a warmly human romance and a deft touch of humour throughout.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers