King Raven 1: Hood - Stephen Lawhead

I was a little wary of starting this Robin Hood trilogy - what new is there to say? But as a huge fan of Robin of Sherwood, I wanted to give it a go. Setting the legend in Wales was a good start laugh and the author made a fair case for his theories, but, sadly, there was a huge chunk in the middle which dragged for me.

Sadly, the author made the mistake of taking a boring event - a long convalescence from wounding for our hero - and actually detailed every moment of it. So we got endless pages of Bran being laid up in bed listening to Angharad sing and cook stew, night after night after night. That kind of thing just tends to bore the reader along with the hero, I'm afraid.

And at the end, our hero's boorish treatment of Merian - with whom he had no romantic or other relationship at that point - rather turned me off him completely. It never bodes well if you don't like the hero. laugh

I did persevere with the second book, Scarlet, but unfortunately it was written in first person from the perspective of Will Scarlet, who I didn't find a particularly competent storyteller. I did quite enjoy the interspersing chapters from the villains' perspective and the theories on how the legend was born - the English conversion of the Welsh for King Raven becoming Robin Hood, for example - were intriguing, but it wasn't enough to keep me interested enough to continue, so I gave up after a third of it.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers