It's a bit of both, really. The original thread was begun by Jojo in 2007:

I just joined a nice live journal community that is challenging people to read at least 50 books this year. I thought this might be a nice challenge to share with all of you. I know I spend a lot of time reading fanfiction but it has been a really long time since I made room for normal books in my life. I used to read them all the time when I was in highschool but once I started college I let that drop out of my life. Sadly I read maybe 3-4 books a year now. This is pretty pathetic. So this year I am challenging myself to try to accomplish reading the 50 books.
That's why those posting what they've read to the thread number each book in their post - to keep count.

But most of us beat that one fairly easily laugh - so it's also just a way to mark what you've been reading and discuss it, if you wish.

It's often a good way of finding new things to read or new authors to enjoy and it's become something of a tradition to start a new thread and a new challenge each year.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers