Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: LabRat 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/01/11 05:56 AM
Happy New Year and may you have lots of happy reading in the year ahead. smile

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/01/11 01:02 PM
I just saw some of the discussion for 50 Book Challenge for 2010. Is there a new list for books in 2011 or is this just a place to discuss any books we've read in 2011? I love to read smile
Posted By: Meadowrose Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/01/11 06:06 PM
Any books that you have read.

Good! A new year. I got lost last year!
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/01/11 08:13 PM
It's a bit of both, really. The original thread was begun by Jojo in 2007:

I just joined a nice live journal community that is challenging people to read at least 50 books this year. I thought this might be a nice challenge to share with all of you. I know I spend a lot of time reading fanfiction but it has been a really long time since I made room for normal books in my life. I used to read them all the time when I was in highschool but once I started college I let that drop out of my life. Sadly I read maybe 3-4 books a year now. This is pretty pathetic. So this year I am challenging myself to try to accomplish reading the 50 books.
That's why those posting what they've read to the thread number each book in their post - to keep count.

But most of us beat that one fairly easily laugh - so it's also just a way to mark what you've been reading and discuss it, if you wish.

It's often a good way of finding new things to read or new authors to enjoy and it's become something of a tradition to start a new thread and a new challenge each year.

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/01/11 09:58 PM
Great idea! It's fun to compare notes on books and authors. I just got one of those electronic readers (Nook) for Christmas so I've been downloading different books than usual. Just finished:

1. That Old Cape Magic xx Russo

Never heard of the author before. Great characters development, though you want to kick the main one in the head for some of the stuff he does.

Joan
Posted By: ANOTHER_ANNA Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/02/11 07:35 AM
I think I am going to keep track of my 50 books as well. I go in spurts where I will read several books in a week, and then will go a month without reading a single book.

Book 1. Still Alice by Lisa Genova Very poignant look at Early Onset Alzheimer's from POV of the sufferer. Brilliant Harvard Professor is diagnosed at age 50 with EOA. I was in tears through a good portion of the book. 4.5 out of 5 stars

Book 2 The Next Best Thing by Kristan Higgins After finishing the first book, I needed something a bit lighter. This romance centers around Lucy and her quest to get back to dating some 5 yrs after her husband died. I generally like this author for some quick, fun escapism, but I just could not get into this book. 2.5-3 ou of 5 stars
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/02/11 08:23 AM
As usual, I've amassed a pile of books for Christmas (chuckles gleefully), so I expect I'll be happily snuggled on the sofa for a time to come.

#1 The Neighbour - Lisa Gardner

LG is on my list of thriller-lite authors. Not terribly complex or taxing, but an enjoyable read all the same.

I did enjoy this one, although I thought it pretty much fell apart at the end. In fact, at one point I was looking at the small amount of pages left to go and thinking, "How on earth is this all going to be wrapped up in so little time?" The answer was in an extremely rushed and implausible fashion. I just wasn't buying much of it.

But for all that, I did like the fact that it centred on a character previously seen in another book, so I found his journey fascinating. The kid was cute. And it had enough little twists and turns to satisfy me, in the main.

#2 The Dead Room - Chris Mooney

I read my first CM novel last year, when I picked it up at a charity store. I enjoyed it enough that I put a couple on my wish list. This one took me a few chapters to get into but once I got into it, I really enjoyed it. Having spent years reading thrillers it's very hard for an author to genuinely surprise me, but Mooney managed it with an absolutely stunning and horrific twist at the end. Excellently pulled off - did NOT see that coming and brilliantly worked, so that it led to a real moment of confusion slowly blossoming into dawning realisation and shock as in "Huh? What the...? But, hang on... But that means, they...! Holy...! OMG!" laugh And then, I remembered back to previous incidents in the book which had seemed to be one thing but in light of this new revelation suddenly became something else, something much darker, much more pitiful. Brilliant.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of his novels now. If they're up to the standard of this one, I've got some good reading to do.

LabRat smile
Posted By: stopquitdont Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/04/11 11:55 AM
I've lurked in the challenge thread since it began. I love to read, but unfortunately, I have so much on my plate, it's more of luxury than anything else. I'm lucky if I can manage a full book every few months... other than the ones required to homeschool my kids. I do like the challenge idea and being that I do homeschool, I've issued the challenge to my kids. However, I set a finish date of August 1st... I have 3 boys (8, 12, 17), so you can imagine it's like pulling teeth to get them to read! What's a Mom/teacher to do? MONEY! I'm bribing them! grumble )

But, just thought I'd throw in how I'm using this idea to spark a bit of reading around my house. And yes, I'm going to work on my reading, too. (If I can manage to pull myself away from fic reading! laugh )

SQD (happy reading all)
Posted By: Tank Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/04/11 05:29 PM
Most of my reading for the last few years have been here. I still read books, but I find that the expense of new books to be somewhat prohibiting. Most of my friends don't read the same things that I do, so trading books is not an option.

I've decided on a different tactic. Over the years I've acquired more than 800 books (mostly paperbacks). A couple of years ago, in an effort to start to 'simplify' my life (I'm getting old and the clutter is beginning to overwhelm) I sold about 500 of those paperbacks to my buddy's comics and games store. That left me still with about 300 books that I couldn't part with.

So, I decided that since I still have a lot of books, that I'd start to read them again. It's amazing how little you actually remember of books that you read twenty to thirty to forty years ago. They are basically like reading something new.

There are some things with I have to keep up with, like the Dresden files books. But for now, I'll concentrate on older books.

Tank (who says that things might change a bit if he decides to go with a nook, to make nightime reading easier and more comfortable)
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/06/11 11:46 AM
#3 The Soul Collectors - Chris Mooney

Well, CM hasn't let me down yet and this book was just as enjoyable as the others. Some of the plot elements hovered a little on the border of belief, but that was a minor point. I was a little unsure of his chief protagonist - Darby McCormack - initially, but by this book I'm definitely getting to like her. She strikes me as being very much a female Jack Reacher. A word of advice to villians out there. Do not even think of kidnapping Darby McCormack and threatening to torture and/or kill her. Just. Don't. She will go nuclear on your butt. Walk away now.

#4 Exposed - Alex Kava

I've read all of AK's previous Maggie O'Dell novels and enjoyed them immensely. But this one just didn't work for me. I felt it was tired, the characters seemed to just be going through the motions and doing what they'd done for several previous books. Add that to a lacklustre plot and lots of pages of science talk which bored me and this was a definite dud.

Fortunately, I'm a third of the way through the next book in the series and that is much more like it.

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/08/11 08:42 PM
#2 In the Still of the Night - by Ann Rule

Ann Rule usually does a good job with true crime. I was a little disappointed that all the pieces didn't fit together but that's the nature of true life crimes sometimes.

Joan
Posted By: Karen Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/11/11 09:11 AM
1. The Magickers vol 2 - Emily Drake

I was given the two volumes for Christmas. Jason Adrian was looking forward to soccer camp, until he sprained his ankle. Instead, he goes to an "academic" camp, where he learns that he is actually a "Magicker." He starts to learn about his Talent, and about the battle being waged against The Dark Hand. It's billed as the american Harry Potter.. the characters are good, and most of the story, but the writing leaves a bit to be desired. The author tends end the books abruptly, like she doesn't know what else to do with it. The series was dropped from the publisher, and I hear she'll be posting book 5 on her website.

2. Towers of Midnight - Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

Book 13 of the Wheel of Time series. This was actually a fairly quick read for such a huge book, compared to the middle of the series. Things are gearing up for the end, and there's only one book left in the series. There are times when you can tell who wrote which section (Robert Jordan tends to get a bit long-winded and detailed in his descriptions, for instance), but it meshes very well. Brandon Sanderson has done a great job taking over after RJ's death.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/13/11 09:59 PM
#5 Black Friday - Alex Kava

This one started well, but quickly lost its fizz around the halfway mark and I struggled towards the end. I feel that with these last two books, Kava has been pretty much phoning it in. They seem tired and lacklustre. I started the third, but have been slow to pick it up again and, to be honest, I can't remember what it's about. Doesn't bode well! laugh

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/17/11 08:07 PM
#3 "Water for Elephants" bu Sara Gruen

It took me a while to get into it, but it was an engaging story. I've heard rumors of this being made into a movie and it could be very good.

Joan
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/19/11 09:22 AM
#6 Damaged - Alex Kava

I actually enjoyed this more than the other two - despite 101 reasons why I really shouldn't have. Like a protagonist who was such a minor, peripheral character that he made almost no impact on me; a slow beginning and an ending that seemed crammed into the final 10 pages and rushed; a subplot about dying soldiers which seemed pointless, even though it did tie in, slightly, towards the end....

It was saved by the inclusion of some interesting characters solely invented for this book. Sadly, I found the recurring characters, including Maggie, somewhat boring. And I do wish that Ms. Kava would make up her mind about Maggie's love interests. There's Nick - who I suspect Kava sees as a romantic character, but who strikes me as a complete stalker. Then we suddenly got two new guys whose relationship with Maggie is equally nebulous and hard to pin down.

I may be a little more cautious about rushing to buy the next novel in the series as I really think they're beginning to grow stale.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/20/11 06:06 AM
I saw last year's list in October and there was no way I was going to remember everything I read. So, this year I'm starting right away:

1. "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett
2. "39 Clues, Book 2: One False Note" by Gordon Korman
3. "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" by Jack Finney

"The Help" was amazing. The characters were created so well that I actually cried at the end...
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/20/11 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Tank:
I still read books, but I find that the expense of new books to be somewhat prohibiting. Most of my friends don't read the same things that I do, so trading books is not an option.
Get a library card!! Most of the books I read last year were borrowed. I get the book for three weeks and can renew it for another three weeks if that's not enough. I can also borrow audiobooks, music CDs, movies and TV shows on DVD. If a book I've borrowed is really good and I plan to read it again someday, then I'll buy a copy.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/20/11 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Anne Spear:
I still read books, but I find that the expense of new books to be somewhat prohibiting. Most of my friends don't read the same things that I do, so trading books is not an option.
Get a library card!!
Or join one of the online book swapping clubs. The two I use are: www.paperbackswap.com and http://www.swap.com . You'd have to pay for shipping and a small handling fee, but it is still a *lot* cheaper than buying books new.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/20/11 10:00 AM
This looks like a lot of fun.

I generally drop any books I've read but don't want to keep at a local charity shop, but I'm rethinking that policy after listening to one of the staff rejecting a donation from someone on the grounds that they had always had too many and they aren't they're greatest sellers. (Never thought I'd hear a charity shop turn down a donation of anything, but there you go!) I've since noticed that they've drastically reduced their book section, so clearly they'd rather not have them.

So I might try signing up to some of the UK book swap clubs. Goodness knows, I have a truckload I could list there!

LabRat smile
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/21/11 10:45 PM
#7 The Amber Room - Steve Berry

I read my first book by Berry - the Romanov Prophecy - just before Christmas and enjoyed it enough that I added another couple to my wish list to try out. I really enjoyed this one, too. Very much in the territory of Dan Brown - although I get the impression that Berry was writing his novels first. An intriguing mix of historical fact, treasure hunt and thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat and reading into the small hours.

I'd never heard of the Amber Room until reading this novel. And I can only echo the sadness expressed in Berry's notes at the end of his book at its vanishing. It must have been an extraordinary, wondrous sight and its loss to the world is a sad thing, indeed.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Karen Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/24/11 07:13 AM
3. A Matter of Honor - Sally Malcolm

I really like Sally Malcolm as an author. I was reading her fic online before she started being published by Fandemonium. This book was no exception. My only complaint was that it's part 1 of 2, and it took awhile to get part 2!

So while I was waiting, I started doing some re-reads. Now I have to finish this series before I go back...

4. The Duke and I - Julia Quinn
5. The Viscount Who Loved Me - Julia Quinn
Posted By: Tank Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/24/11 03:48 PM
I got my Nook Color for Christmas and I love it.

I just finished Jim Butcher's "Side Jobs". It's a collection of Dresden shorts. It was fun.

I've got five books downloaded onto my nook as of now, so I'm set for a while.

I'm finding that the hardest part of the e-reader experience is narrowing down the search for titles that I might want.

Going to have to browse those 99 cent titles soon.

Tank (who finds that e-readers were designed for those of us who like to read in bed)
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/24/11 08:48 PM
(who finds that e-readers were designed for those of us who like to read in bed)
Just one question: does it shut itself off when I fall asleep while reading?
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/24/11 08:50 PM
4. "Blood Dreams" by Kay Hooper
Posted By: Tank Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/25/11 04:22 AM
Yes, the nook will revert to a sleep mode if there is no activity after a set time.

Tank (who has also already lost a game of chess to the darn machine)
Posted By: mozartmaid Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/25/11 05:33 AM
Tank
I just finished Jim Butcher's "Side Jobs". It's a collection of Dresden shorts. It was fun.
Do these take place in Dresden, Germany? I haven't read any fiction that takes place here, so just curious (I'm an American ex-pat). What time period are they set in?
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/25/11 06:13 AM
No, Dresden is the name of the character in Jim Butcher's series of novels:

The Dresden Files is a series of fantasy/mystery novels written by Jim Butcher. He provides a first person narrative of each story from the point of view of the main character, private investigator and wizard Harry Dresden, as he recounts investigations into supernatural disturbances in modern-day Chicago.
LabRat smile
Posted By: Tank Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/25/11 04:55 PM
Yeah, what she said.

Tank (who met Jim Butcher a few years ago at the New York Comicon where he was helping push a comic book version of his Dresden books... a nice guy)
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/25/11 06:47 PM
1. The Tipping Point
2. Outliers
3. What The Dog Saw
all by Malcolm Gladwell.
Essays about various topics, ranging from how the dogs view the "Dog Whisperer", an interview with Veg-O-Matic creator Ron Popeil, an investigation into the history of hair dye in America, and why the rate of syphilis in Baltimore leapt up (due to concatenation of tiny changes in unrelated factors.) All interesting, all well-written.

4. Tasting Fear
5. Hot Night
both by Shannon McKenna. Hot smutty romance. Recommended if you're in the mood for smut, otherwise don't bother.

6. Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George - YA novel, re-telling of a classic fairy tale. Recommended.

7. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson.
From the blurb on Amazon.com: "In her witty and wise debut novel, newcomer Helen Simonson introduces the unforgettable character of the widower Major Ernest Pettigrew. The Major epitomizes the Englishman with the "stiff upper lip," who clings to traditional values and has tried (in vain) to pass these along to his yuppie son, Roger. The story centers around Pettigrew's fight to keep his greedy relatives (including his son) from selling a valuable family heirloom--a pair of hunting rifles that symbolizes much of what he stands for, or at least what he thinks he does. The embattled hero discovers an unexpected ally and source of consolation in his neighbor, the Pakistani shopkeeper Jasmina Ali. On the surface, Pettigrew and Ali's backgrounds and life experiences couldn't be more different, but they discover that they have the most important things in common. This wry, yet optimistic comedy of manners with a romantic twist will appeal to grown-up readers of both sexes. Kudos to Helen Simonson, who distinguishes herself with Major Pettigrew's Last Stand as a writer with the narrative range, stylistic chops, and poise of a veteran." Recommended.

8. Brighty of the Grand Canyon by Marguerite Henry - don't laugh, I had to read this for my book club! And it was surprisingly good. Brighty, a wild and free burro, saves more than one life.

9. Little Grrl Lost by Charles deLint. More of deLint's urban fantasy. Elizabeth Tetty is a Little (think "the Borrowers" - that kind of Little) who wants to make her own way in the world. But it's a Big world out there... Recommended.

10. The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen. Not enough apothecary stuff and not enough romance for my taste. The novel left me wanting more of both. OK and good enough to read till the end, but not a book that I'll re-read.

11. Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn. Zoe Ardelay's father has just died, and on the same day, an important messenger from the capital comes to take her away to be the king's fifth wife. More stuff happens. Recommended - I've pretty much liked everything I've read by Sharon Shinn. (BTW, Zoe doesn't end up marrying the king. Not too much of a spoiler since you find that out in the first three chapters.)

12. Was Superman A Spy? by Brian Cronin. Fascinating collection of comic book myths, legends, and stories. The title comes from 1945, where a Superman comic book story included a cyclotron (an "atom smasher"). Since nuclear power details were being closely held at the time, the FBI came and investigated. It turns out the writer of the comic had gotten the info about the cyclotron from an article in "Popular Mechanics" ten years earlier!
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/25/11 06:56 PM
5. "Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/26/11 06:05 AM
6. "The Taming of the Shrew" by William Shakespeare

:rolleyes:
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 01/30/11 11:24 AM
7. "The Comedy of Errors" by William Shakespeare

Okay...I'm off the Shakespeare kick now... :rolleyes:
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 02/10/11 06:17 AM
#8 The Third Secret - Steve Berry
#9 The Devil's Labyrinth - John Saul
#10 Fear - Jeff Abbott
#11 Orchard Beach - Stuart Woods

LabRat smile
Posted By: Female Hawk Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 02/11/11 05:46 PM
OK - I am definitely not a reader - not in the way some of you devour books. FIFTY in a year - that's about one a week. eek

But for the first time in couple of years, I read an entire book, so I thought I would join in this thread. cool

1. A Brief History of the Doctrine of the Trinity in the Early Church by Franz Dunzl.

He does a pretty good job of setting out some complex ideas in a way that a lay person can understand.

Corrina.
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 02/17/11 06:16 AM
#8 Blood Sins by Kay Hooper
#9 Blood Ties by Kay Hooper
#10 Hunting Fear by Kay Hooper
#11 39 Clues 3: The Sword Thief by Peter Lerangis
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 02/21/11 09:26 AM
I am pathetically behind with reading.

I'm almost embarassed to add:

#4 The Way I see it by Melissa Sue Anderson. I was a Little House fan and it was fun to revisit episodes, though Melissa doesn't go into much other than the show.

I started reading "Anthropology of an American Girl". Then I got busy. Now I've just decided it's a lousy book.
Posted By: Karen Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 02/22/11 10:46 AM
6. An Offer from a Gentleman - Julia Quinn
7. Romancing Mr. Bridgerton - Julia Quinn
8. To Sir Philip, With Love - Julia Quinn
9. When He Was Wicked - Julia Quinn

Gave up on my rereading and finally went with new books.

10. The Cost of Honor - Sally Malcolm

Fairly fast-paced and bounced around various locations, but still a good read.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 02/22/11 11:09 AM
#12 Roman Blood (Roma Sub Rosa #1) - Steven Saylor

One of the genre of murder mysteries with a 'detective', set in a historical time period. Rome, of course, if you couldn't guess already. I really enjoyed it. Interesting, sympathetic characters and a real sense of being in a roman city. Fascinating detail, yet it wasn't allowed to read like a school history lesson or overwhelm the entertainment of the story.

#13 The Silent and the Dead - can't remember who the author of this one was and can't find any trace of it on the web. frown Which seems quite strange as it was from a series of crime novels with the same Inspector character. Knowing me, I've probably got the title completely wrong. goofy

#14 When The Devil Holds the Candle - Karin Fossum

I must admit my heart sank when I realised that some of the books I'd picked up in my recent charity bookshop hunt were set in Europe. I've not had the best of luck with European thrillers in the past. But these two were very enjoyable. The first set in Italy, the second in Norway.

#15 Play Dead - Harlan Coben

One of my favourite 'light reading' authors, but I haven't read anything from him in a long time. Not sure how I'd missed this one, but I got it for Xmas. Unusually, it comes with a disclaimer from the author, who pretty much disses it. It was an early work, now republished many years later on the back of his other successes and he considers it flawed as a result.

I thought he was too hard on it. The plot was wildly improbable in places - but that's nothing new for Coben or, indeed, many thriller authors. It's often an accepted flaw of the genre. Coincidence rules and a murderer's plot relies heavily on certain people and events slotting into place perfectly at just the right time. So that didn't bother me at all.

But I thought it was one of his most enjoyable. So much so, in fact, that it's spurred me to go back to re-read his other books, most of which I haven't read in years. smile

LabRat smile
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 02/24/11 05:39 AM
#12 Chill of Fear by Kay Hooper

Just one more in this trilogy - got it from the library yesterday! dance
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 02/25/11 08:47 PM
#5 "Heart of the Matter" by Emily Giffin. Interesting insights into the wife and the woman her husband is tempted to cheat with.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 03/01/11 02:26 AM
#16 No Second Chance - Harlan Coben
#17 Gone For Good - Harlan Coben
#18 Tell No One - Harlan Coben
#19 Hold Tight - Harlan Coben

Thoroughly enjoyed my re-reads of these. It's been long enough since I last read them that I could only remember the barest details of the plot, so it was just like reading something new. I have three left to go and then I might just go on to re-read his Myron Bolitar series, too.

#20 The Bombmaker - Stephen Leather

I really shouldn't enjoy Leather's novels, being firmly in the territory of Fredick Forsyth and Tom Clancy as they are. Not my genre at all, normally. But every time I've picked one up at a charity store I've really enjoyed it. This tale of a retired IRA bombmaker forced back into service when her young daughter is kidnapped was no exception.

#21 The Woods - Harlan Coben

LabRat smile
Posted By: Karen Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 03/02/11 08:37 AM
11. Sphere - Michael Crichton

I was expecting a bit more of a scifi novel than a character thriller, but it still moved quickly.
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 03/09/11 07:38 AM
#6 "Tropic of Creation" by Kay Kenyon. Not a bad book, it just never really grabbed me. The author does a nice job creating a new race.
Posted By: mozartmaid Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 03/09/11 11:06 AM
1. The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

This is a beautiful book about a house mistress that everyone overlooks -- yet her mind and her heart are full of wonderful things. Very eloquent story!
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 03/14/11 06:33 AM
13. "The Red Pyramid" by Rick Riordan
14. "Sleeping with Fear" by Kay Hooper
15. "World Without End" by Ken Follett
16. "Out of the Dark" by David Weber
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 03/16/11 08:04 AM
#7 MiniShopaholic by Sophis Kinsella

I wanted something light since most of my reading these days is a few minutes in the car while waiting for kids. The reviews claimed it was funny. It wasn't. The lead character was shallow and selfish. I kept waiting for her to fall on her face and she never did.
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 03/17/11 12:56 PM
17. "The Secret Supper" by Javier Sierra
(The DaVinci Code, but set in the time of DaVinci.)
Posted By: DSDragon Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 03/17/11 04:30 PM
I've read a few books this year, but don't have my Kindle (which I got last November) with me, so I can't list them at the moment. I know I'm behind though; I've been doing more knitting than reading. Unless you count the Washington Post, that is.
Posted By: DSDragon Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 03/18/11 09:42 AM
Aha! Here we go.

1. Checkmate - A Beginner's Guide to Chess by Adam Stryvnski
2. Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card
3. The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch and Lee Chadeayne
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 03/22/11 04:18 AM
I'm on a bit of a re-read kick right now. I have a shelf full of brand new books from some of my favourite authors, but I'm trying to save them for my Super Special Vacation at the end of May. So I've been trawling my book shelves instead.

#22 The Innocent - Harlan Coben
#23 Just One Look - Harlan Coben
#24 4th of July - James Patterson & Maxine Paetro
#25 The Beach House - James Patterson & Peter De Jonge]

(I reiterate my suspicion that these two are written in great part by the secondary authors because I enjoyed them and JP isn't an author I normally rate that highly wink )

#26 Labryinth - Kate Mosse
#27 Stealing Shadows - Kay Hooper
#28 Blood Dreams - Kay Hooper
#29 The Last Innocent Man - Philip Margolin
#30 Gone, But Not Forgotten - Philip Margolin

and, last but definitely not least (not a re-read):

#31 Troll Fell
#32 Troll Mill
#33 Troll Blood

All by Katherine Langrish.

I loved this children's fantasy trilogy. I did have serious reservations about some of the themes in book two - the villains and heroes of the piece seemed to be completely reversed imo and the crimes in question seemed to be completely glossed over. But I can overlook that because that tends to be the nature of fairy tales anyway.

These were full of wonderful characters, particularly the non-human ones. The marvellously malicious Granny Greenteeth, the sly but dumb as two short planks lubbers and, my favourite the wonderful Nis. Laugh out loud funny at times and full of adventure and spooky goings on.

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 03/22/11 09:18 AM
#8 The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Wow - what a fabulous book. Set in the South in the 1960s, a white woman secretly interviews black maids.
Posted By: ccmalo Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 03/23/11 04:34 AM
Oh yes - I loved that book! Such wonderful characters.

c.
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 03/26/11 10:04 PM
#9 "The Mountain Between Us" by Charles Martin

A small plane crashes in the wilderness in the middle of winter. How do the two survivors make it back to civilization?

Joan
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 03/31/11 06:26 AM
18. "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" by Seth Grahame-Smith
19. "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen

I read "The Help" too and LOVED it!!
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 04/01/11 08:00 AM
It was so good I find I'm having trouble getting into a new book smile

I read "The Help" too and LOVED it!! [/QB]
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 04/06/11 06:02 PM
#10 The Little Stranger by Sara Waters

Story about the decline of an English family. I kept thinking it was going to get better, but it never did.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 04/15/11 11:41 AM
Still enjoying revisiting old favourites:

All by Harlan Coben:

#34 Deal Breaker
#35 Drop Shot
#36 Fade Away
#37 One False Move
#38 Long Lost
#39 Promise Me
#40 Darkest Fear
#41 The Final Detail
#42 Back Spin

#43 Chasing the Dime - Michael Connolly
#44 The Lincoln Lawyer - Michael Connolly
#45 The Poet - Michael Connolly
#46 Blood Work - Michael Connolly

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 04/15/11 01:42 PM
#11 A Summer Affair by Elin Hilderbrad

Not quite what I was expecting. Interesting characters. The ending was a bit rushed.
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 04/18/11 06:03 AM
#20 "The Dead Girls' Dance" - book 2 of Morganville Vampires - by Rachel Caine

#21 "Twilight" by Stephanie Meyers...AGAIN!!!
Posted By: Annalina19 Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 04/18/11 02:31 PM
Hello guys,

It seems Labrat that you're going to finish your 50 book challenge easily, we are not even at the half of the year !
I was not reading much except for the L&C fics, always a fan, but last week a friend lent me "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer and it makes me want to read again, so this is my list for now :

#1 The Host - Stephenie Meyer
I like it. We're following a woman Melanie Stryder who has been captured by some parasites who had taken the complete control of Earth by inserting themselves in humans. One of them, Wanderer, was inserted in Melanie ans so she fought not to disappear and to have her life back.
There is love too, but the story is far more mature than Twilight ! You have a good time if you want to unwind.

#2 Hush Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick
Boring and uninteresting.

#3 La fille de papier (Girl on paper) - Guillaume Musso
He is a French author, he writes most of the time romantic novel, the encounter of a man and a woman who may find love along the way or not.

"« She appeared on my terrace on a stormy night, soaking wet and stark naked:
-Where did you come from?
-I fell...
-Fell out of what?
-Fell out of your book. You know, out of your story!»"
In this story, Tom Boyd, a famous writer who’s suffering from writer’s block, meets the heroine of his novels. Billie, the girl on paper is in danger, if Tom stops writing she may die. An incredible story, impossible ... but what if ?

#4 Guilty Pleasures, the fist adventure of Anita BLake) - Laurell K. Hamilton
Nice, but I'm not enough interested in to continue the series.

#5 The laughing corpse (T2) - Laurell K. Hamilton
I read this one, because the book I bought, was composed of the two stories.

#6 Swordspoint - Ellen Kushner
Amazing, love it ! The main character is a swordsman, Richard St-Vier, who earns his life with murder contracts. Always wise ans cautious with his business, he is nevertheless going to be intertwined in the nobility's political, social ans sexual intrigue.
Kushner is an amazing writer, this world she introduced us in, depicts perfectly the versatility of men and women.
Posted By: Artemis Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 04/22/11 01:27 PM
I'm not really doing the 50 book challenge, although I may read nearly that many.
I'd like to recommend a series of books by Brett Battles:
The Cleaner
The Deceived
Shadow of Betrayal
The Silenced

They are on Amazon and Sony Reader in both paper and epub. I'm reading The Silenced right now and it is very good. It's an international mystery/thriller type series. The author is a family friend getting his foothold in the business. He got to quit his day job! Yay!
regards
Artemis
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 04/28/11 06:23 AM
#22 "New Moon" by Stephanie Meyers...again!!

#23 "The 39 Clues, book 4: Beyond the Grave" by Jude Watson
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 04/28/11 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Annalina19:

[b]#1 The Host - Stephenie Meyer

I like it. We're following a woman Melanie Stryder who has been captured by some parasites who had taken the complete control of Earth by inserting themselves in humans. One of them, Wanderer, was inserted in Melanie ans so she fought not to disappear and to have her life back.
There is love too, but the story is far more mature than Twilight ! You have a good time if you want to unwind.

[/b]
I've read "The Host" a bunch of times and would highly recommend it!

thumbsup
Posted By: Olive Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 04/29/11 03:49 PM
Well, almost at the middle of the year I'm joining the challenge.

So far...

#1 Demasiado/Too Much - Diana Andringa

# 2 Palestina, Viver na Intifada/ Palestine, Living in the Intifada - Ricardo Alexandre

#3 In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
Posted By: Olive Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 04/30/11 07:52 AM
And also

#4 Lord of the flies - William Golding
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/02/11 02:27 PM
#12 Black out by Connis Willis

Time traveling historians are trapped in WW2 England during the Blitz. Of course the story builds to a huge climatic point...and then is continued in the next book!

Joan
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/04/11 09:42 AM
#24 - "Lost" by Gregory Maguire
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/04/11 09:08 PM
Whoa! Way too long since I posted in this thread.

13. Little (Grrl) Lost by Charles deLint.
Delightful tale, tangentially related to deLint's "Newford" stories. "Fourteen-year-old T. J.'s family has been forced to move to a suburb, leaving behind their family farm and T. J.'s beloved horse. Shy and awkward, T. J. has trouble finding a niche in her new school, and she misses her old friends desperately. Enter Elizabeth Wood, a 16-year-old "Little" who is six inches tall and all punky attitude (four-letter words abound)." Recommended.

14. Howl's Moving Castle
15. House of Many Ways
16. Castle in the Air
all by Diana Wynne Jones.
I was saddened earlier this year by the news of Diana Wynne Jones's death. She has always been one of my favorite fantasy authors, ever since I read her "Dogsbody" years and years ago. "Howl's Moving Castle" made it to the movies, and unfortunately I haven't seen the cinematic version. The books, like all of DWJ's work, are highly recommended.

17. The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen.
I found this rather blah. Don't bother unless you're hard up for reading material.

18. Agent To The Stars by John Scalzi.
Loads of fun, about a benign alien race that comes to Earth and needs a PR agent to orchestrate their revealment. Better than I'm making it sound. Recommended.

19. After The Downfall by Harry Turtledove.
A generic Harry Turtledove character (in this case, a Nazi) escapes the last days of WWII as the Russians are invading Berlin. He is transported into an alternate universe where he must learn that things are not what they seem. Nothing that Turtledove hasn't done better before. One star out of five.

20. The Annotated Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift, annotated by Isaac Asimov.
Reading "Little (Grrl) Lost" (see above) got me interested in Lilliputians, so I went to the source. Asimov deftly delineates the finer points of satire which would be missed today. There's a reason that "Gulliver's Travels" is still in print, almost 300 years after it was written. Recommended.

21. The Little Giant of Aberdeen County by Tiffany Baker.
"In an upstate New York backwater, Truly, massive from birth, has a bleak existence with her depressed father and her china-doll–like sister, Serena Jane. Truly grows at an astonishing rate—her girth the result of a pituitary gland problem—and after her father dies when Truly is 12, Truly is sloughed off to the Dyersons, a hapless farming family. Her outsize kindness surfaces as she befriends the Dyersons' outcast daughter, Amelia, and later leaves her beloved Dyerson farm to take care of Serena Jane's husband and son after Serena Jane leaves them. Haunting the margins of Truly's story is that of Tabitha Dyerson, a rumored witch whose secrets afford a breathtaking role reversal for Truly."
OK but not really what I wanted at the time. Three stars of five.

22. Terra Incognita
23. Medicus
24. Persona Non Grata
25. Caveat Emptor
all by Ruth Downie.
Enjoyable historical fiction about a Roman military doctor in the time of Hadrian. "The salacious underside of Roman-occupied Britain comes to life in Britisher Downie's debut. Gaius Petrius Ruso, a military medicus (or doctor), transfers to the 20th Legion in the remote Britannia port of Deva (now Chester) to start over after a ruinous divorce and his father's death. Things go downhill from there." Good mysteries and recommended if you like historical fiction.

26. Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded by John Scalzi.
Collection of essays off his blog "Whatever". Great fun and highly recommended. It won the Hugo Award.

27. The Nineteenth Wife by David Ebershoff.
Good tale about the supposed 19th wife of Brigham Young of Mormon fame, mixed in with a contemporary story about a young man escaping from a polygamist compound. Recommended.

28. I, Sniper by Stephen Hunter.
Good thriller. Read it.

29. Hell's Corner by David Baldacci.
Another fun thriller. "The night after the U.S. president persuades former assassin Oliver Stone (aka John Carr) to re-enter government employment to tackle the growing threat of Russian drug gangs, Stone finds himself in Lafayette Park, across the street from the White House, when gunfire breaks out and a bomb explodes. Apparently, the intended target was the visiting British prime minister, who was scheduled to walk across the park before an ankle injury modified his plans. Taken off his original mission, Stone seeks to identify the forces behind the assassination attempt." Implausible but it sure is fun to read.

30. The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts by Neil Asher Silberman and Israel Finkelstein.
Just what it says. A scholarly yet readable dissertation on how archaeology has helped to illustrate conditions at the time various portions of the Old Testament were committed to writing. The authors posit that much happened after the fall of Israel, the northern kingdom, after its defeat by the Assyrians in (I believe) 753 B.C. Many refugees flocked to the southern kingdom of Judah, and Jerusalem, where much of the Bible was written down. Better than I'm making it sound.

31. The Devil You Know
32. Vicious Circle
33. Dead Men's Boots
34. Thicker Than Water
35. The Naming of the Beasts
all by Mike Carey.
Mike Carey is probably better known for the comic books he pens, but these stories about Felix Castor, exorcist, are well worth a read. Review for "The Devil You Know":
"Felix Fix Castor is an itinerant exorcist who (like a certain famous group of Hollywood ghost-evicters) alternates between dispatching spooks and doing stage magic at ungrateful children's birthday parties. When he's summoned to end a haunting at London's prestigious Bonnington Archive, he finds a vengeful specter with a blood-veiled face that resists methods for extirpating the usually docile dead. When Castor begins probing more deeply, he quickly finds himself harassed by a ravenous succubus, a belligerent fellow exorcist and a slimy Eastern European pimp. The resolution of this ingeniously multilayered tale will satisfy fans of both fantasy and detective fiction. Fix Castor's wisecracking cleverness in the face of weird nemeses makes him the perfect hardboiled hero for a new supernatural noir series."

36. Darkfever
37. Faefever
38. Bloodfever
39. Dreamfever
40. Shadowfever
all by Karen Moning.
Romance novels with a plot involving the movement of the Fae into our world, with catastrophic consequences. Only Mac (our heroine) can save the day, but can she overcome her lethal love for the unsuitable (but very hot) mysterious guy? Fun to read if you're into smutty paranormal romance, otherwise don't bother.

41. The Attenbury Emeralds by Jill Paton Walsh.
Meant to be a prequel to the Lord Peter Wimsey series by Dorothy Sayers and those characters appear, but re-reading Sayers only makes it clear that she was inimitable. Nevertheless, worth a read if you don't have anything better to do or if you are a dedicated Wimseyite, like me.

42. The Millionaire Mind by Thomas Friedman.
Why do some people become millionaires and others languish? Millionaires have many shared characteristics. Friedman examines how and why they became millionaires and why others didn't. Another book that's better than I'm making it sound. Recommended.

43. The Best American Mystery Stories of 2010 ed. by Lee Child.
Yep, it's the best American Mystery Stories of 2010. Truth in advertising.

44. Deliver Us From Evil by David Baldacci.
Another competent thriller, but it didn't stick in my head enough that I could remember the details to tell you here.

45. Dead Zero by Stephen Hunter.
Repeat the comment above. It was fun to read at the time.

46. The Eyre Affair
47. Lost In A Good Book
48. The Well of Lost Plots
49. Something Rotten
50. Thursday Next: First Among Sequels
51. One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing
all by Jasper Fforde.
When the latest Thursday Next book came out, I just had to re-read the rest of the series. Fforde writes hysterically funny literary in-jokes and even his misses are still worth a laugh.
Here's the review for "First Among Sequels":
"Fforde's fifth novel to feature intrepid literary detective Thursday Next (after 2004's 'Something Rotten') blends elements of mystery, campy science fiction and screwball fantasy à la Terry Pratchett's Discworld. With the Stupidity Surplus reaching dangerously high levels all over England, Acme Carpets employee and undercover SpecOps investigator Next has her hands full trying to persuade her 16-year-old slacker son, Friday, to join the ChronoGuard, which deals with temporal stability; if Friday continues to sleep away his future, the end is near — for everyone. To complicate matters, a malicious apprentice begins making classic works of literature into reality book shows ('Pride and Prejudice' becomes 'The Bennets' with one daughter to be voted off the estate), a ruthless corporation tries to turn the Bookworld into a tourist trap, and the Cheese Enforcement Agency tries to bust Next for smuggling killer curd. The fate of the world may lie in a Longfellow poem. Fans of satiric literary humor are in for a treat."

The whole series is highly, highly recommended.
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/05/11 07:30 AM
#12 Love the One You're With - by Emily Giffin

This writer does a nice job fleshing out characters. While I like where the main character ended up, I didn't see her growing or changing much in the process.

Joan
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/05/11 11:17 AM
Well, I've finally gone and done it. After much gnashing of teeth and digging in of Luddite heels, I've joined the Kindle generation. It just made too much practical sense not to any more.

I'm still not over my conviction that lines of text on a screen aren't 'proper, real books', but I suspect time will erode that for me. Certainly, I can already think of lots of advantages to reading on Kindle and I'm sure I'll come up with more once I get going.

Just waiting for the device to arrive, but I've already dipped a toe in the water with the Kindle for PC download and this was the first free book I dl for it:

#47 Her Vampire Husband - Michele Hauf

Not my kind of thing normally and you couldn't call it the best book written of the genre, but I actually had a lot of fun with it. Kind of like reading a vampire romance nfic. laugh

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/05/11 01:04 PM
How do you like it, LabRat? I got a Nook for Christmas and I'm still getting used to it. I like being able to adjust the type set/size and the ease of carrying it around, but I tend to borrow more books than buy them. Many titles aren't available electronically to borrow and I'm still getting used to the lending system.

Downloading fanfic might be fun but I haven't played around with it yet.

Joan

Originally posted by LabRat:
Well, I've finally gone and done it. After much gnashing of teeth and digging in of Luddite heels, I've joined the Kindle generation. It just made too much practical sense not to any more.

I'm still not over my conviction that lines of text on a screen aren't 'proper, real books', but I suspect time will erode that for me. Certainly, I can already think of lots of advantages to reading on Kindle and I'm sure I'll come up with more once I get going.
Posted By: stephnachia Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/05/11 09:16 PM
What the hey - I'll jump in even though it's mid-year.

#1 - As Sure as the Dawn by Francine Rivers

Third book in the Mark of the Lion Series which are all EXCELLENT. Francine Rivers is a Christian fiction author who will astound you. She writes some of the most brutally realistic scenes I've ever read - very good historical fiction!

#2 - Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina by multiple authors

Some are okay, some are just bad. I own about 65 Star Wars books that I started reading when I was in middle school. I was thinking about getting rid of them recently but decided I would re-read all of them again to see if I changed my mind. This book was not a good starter.
Posted By: Karen Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/06/11 02:22 PM
I could have sworn I was a bit further ahead than this.

Transitions
12. The Orc King
13. The Pirate King
14. The Ghost King
- R. A. Salvatore

This is a trilogy that follows other trilogies, based on the author's famous character, the drow (dark elf) Drizzt Do'Urden and the Companions of the Hall, set in the Forgotten Realms universe. If you have a love of fantasy, especially D&D-type stories, I recommend his books. However, I kept getting confused as I read these books, keeping track of what was going on. I'm not sure if it was his writing or my state of mind.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/06/11 05:29 PM
How do you like it, LabRat?
Okay, I give in. It arrived this morning, I spent all afternoon reading my first book on it and I am throughly hooked. What an absolute pleasure reading on Kindle is. <happy sigh> This is the best device known to mankind, I swear. How could I miss out on this for so long? goofy

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/08/11 09:50 AM
#13 Do As I Say (Not as I do)by Peter Schweizer
Posted By: Olive Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/09/11 04:00 AM
# 5 - The Great gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

# 6 - Mini Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/12/11 09:56 AM
#48 Michael Connolly - Void Moon
#49 Michael Connolly - The Closers
#50 Michael Connolly - A Darkness More Than Night
#51 Michael Connolly - Lost Light
#52 Michael Connolly - The Black Echo
#53 Michael Connolly - The Black Ice
#54 Michael Connolly - The Concrete Blonde
#55 Michael Conolly - The Last Coyote
#56 Terry Pratchett - Making Money
#57 Terry Pratchett - Lords and Ladies

#58 Apartment 16 – Adam Neville

I know it’s something of a paradox, but I don’t tend to read horror novels for the gore. I prefer those examples of the genre which use plot and character and twists and turns to crank up the sense of foreboding and the chills down the spine. This novel had just a little too much of the grotesque to be enjoyable for me.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Olive Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/13/11 12:54 PM
#7 - Jornal Nacional, Modo de Fazer - William Bonner

I was a bit conflicted about posting this book here. It could be considered an academic manual of sorts but at the same time - for those folcs who read in portuguese - it can actually be interesting.

The book was written by the editor in chief and one of the anchors of Brazil's most popular news bulletin(I'm not quite sure if this is the correct term): Jornal Nacional.

It's easy to read and interesting because it takes you behind the scenes of Jornal Nacional without being boring.
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/14/11 07:26 AM
#25 "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant

#26 "The Red Garden" by Alice Hoffman

#27 "Nightlight" by The Harvard Lampoon (a horrible spoof of Twilight - if you're a fan of the original, I wouldn't recommend it)
Posted By: Framework4 Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/15/11 01:21 AM
Originally posted by scifiJoan:
I just got one of those electronic readers (Nook)
Since you have a Nook have you looked at the ebooks at Baen?

Baen\'s ebook store
Baen\'s free library

Onward to books

• 1635: The Eastern Front by Eric Flint
  • 1636: The Saxon Uprising by Eric Flint
  • Cryoburn by Lois McMaster Bujold
  • Disappearing Act by Margaret Ball
  • Higher Education by Charles Sheffield and Jerry Pournelle
  • In Fire Forged: Worlds of Honor V by David Weber
  • Outward Bound by James P. Hogan
  • Putting Up Roots by Charles Sheffield
  • Starswarm by Jerry Pournelle
  • Hot Money by Dick Francis
  • Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour Vol 1 by Louis L'Amour
  • Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour Vol 2 by Louis L'Amour
  • Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour Vol 3 by Louis L'Amour
  • Proof by Dick Francis
  • Decider by Dick Francis
  • If the Witness Lied by Caroline B. Cooney
  • Banker by Dick Francis
  • Straight by Dick Francis
  • Passin' Through by Louis L'Amour
  • Blind Waves by Steven Gould
  • Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge
  • Wildside by Steven Gould
  • Reflex by Steven Gould
  • The Billion Dollar Boy by Charles Sheffield
  • The Cyborg From Earth by Charles Sheffield
  • The Gripping Hand by Larry Niven and
    Jerry Pournelle
  • The Mote in God's Eye by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven
Posted By: Karen Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/15/11 08:07 PM
Trying to catch up...

15. Dead in the Family - Charlaine Harris

The latest Sookie paperback. I'd love the latest hardback, but I'm trying to be consistant on the bindings. Maybe I need to start hitting the library again.

16. Bet Me - Jennifer Cruisie
17. Faking It - Jennifer Cruisie

A friend got me started on her books. I love the quirky characters, but the stream of consciousness writing can be a bit interesting. Holy run-on sentences, Batman!

18. Valentine's Delights - Meryl Sawyer, Kate Hoffman, Gina Wilkins

Just a short story re-read. Yeah, I'm trying to bump up my reading numbers a bit!
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/18/11 01:45 PM
#14 House Rules by Jodi Picoult
Excellent story about a kid with Asperger's accused of murder.
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/25/11 06:21 AM
#28 - "Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King

#29 - "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" by Katherine Howe
Posted By: Karen Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/26/11 04:53 AM
19. Once Smitten / Twice Shy - Darlene Gardner
20. If the Shoe Fits - Samantha Connolly / Designs On Jake - Dorien Kelly
(Both are Harlequin Duets.. 2 stories in one book)
Sweet Liar - Jude Deveraux
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/26/11 05:28 AM
#59 Fatal Secrets - Allison Brennan
#60 The Prey - Allison Brennan
#61 The Hunt - Allison Brennan
#62 The Kill - Allison Brennan

Having loaded a whole pile of books to my Kindle, I was in the mood for some lightweight thriller/romance and these fit the bill nicely.

This is one of the things I most enjoy about the Kindle, that I can have a whole selection of books available to me at the click of a button in varying genres to suit my reading mood of the moment.

#63 Coraline - Neil Gaiman
#64 Stardust - Neil Gaiman

I'd wanted to catch up with these two for a while and enjoyed them both very much. Coraline was a much simpler tale than I was expecting, but none the worse for it and Stardust differed quite significantly from the movie, but that was all to the good, too. I loved the movie but wasn't disappointed that the book took a different path here and there.

#65 Orchid Blues - Stuart Wood
#66 Blood Orchid - Stuart Wood
#67 Reckless Abandon - Stuart Wood
#68 Iron Orchid - Stuart Wood
#69 Hothouse Orchid - Stuart Wood

Catching up with the rest of the Holly Barker novels. Nice, easy reading that's not too taxing on the brain. I'm kind of disappointed I've read the last of these.

#70 Under the Lake - Stuart Woods

For some reason, I wasn't expecting this departure from his more well-known thrillers to be up to much, but I found it to be one of the best ghost stories I've read in a while. Kept me guessing right to the end and was satisfyingly spooky at points. I'd like to see more in this genre from Woods.

#71 To Defy A King - Elizabeth Chadwick

I've read a couple of Chadwick's historial novels previously and much enjoyed them. This wasn't one of them. The problem with simply following one woman's life was that it was a fairly boring life. Nothing much of note happened, she got married, she had babies...my diary would be more interesting than this. Very disappointing. But it wouldn't stop me reading more Chadwick novels if I came across them in the future.

#72 The Red Queen - Philippa Gregory

This was more like it. The story of Margaret Beaufort - mother to Henry Tudor/Henry VII. It suffers a little from being told from the heroine's pov, which leads to a lot of us being told about events and battles secondhand, as the heroine learns of them, rather than viewing them, since she isn't on the scene to directly witness them. But still a fascinating peek into medieval times, filled with all kinds of horrifying ways women were tortured. The terrifying habit of tossing a pregnant woman in a blanket to 'move things along' if she was enduring a difficult labour. dizzy The Holy Church actually formally decreeing that if it came down to a choice between baby and mother that the mother was to be sacrificed every time. Women being forced to attend church and confess to the 'sin' of childbirth after they had their baby...it was a fun time, clearly! A disturbing insight into just how cheaply female lives were held at that time.

LabRat smile
Posted By: suez Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/26/11 06:44 AM
Labby, I am going to try the Allison Brennan books. My library doesn't have them and I share books with my mother, so I'll get them used on Amazon. I hate paying more to get a book to put on my Kindle.
I haven't been listing my books on here this year. I have been reading mostly the JD Robb, Death series books, when I'm not reading fanfic on my Kindle. LOL
Sue
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/26/11 07:05 AM
I particularly enjoyed the Prey/Hunt/Kill trilogy, Sue. Brennan is one of those authors who will have a peripheral character in one novel who then becomes the main character in the next, which I quite enjoy, and that was very much the theme of this trilogy.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Olive Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/26/11 10:32 AM
#8 - Dead Girls Don't Dance - Mary Janice Davidson
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/29/11 09:51 AM
#15 All Clear by Connie Willis
A long ride but well worth it. Very moving ending.
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 05/31/11 12:34 PM
#1 The Essential Book of Useless Information: The Most Unimportant Things You'll Never Need To Know
Pretty interesting stuff overall. Some facts were dumb, others were cool. Some were surprising and some I already knew.

#2 Dexter Is Delicious
One of the better Dexter books, IMHO. I enjoyed the evolution of his character in this book and cheered his attempts to humanize himself further. But it lacked the "thrill of the hunt" element, as Dexter really doesn't do much killing in this one. And the ending left something to be desired. Still, the idea of cannibals was interesting and it was nice to see Deb struggle (and ultimately come to some "terms" with) who Dexter really is - a serial killer. It was also nice to see an old character resurface and wonder about what their intentions are and where their loyalties lay. The more I read about Rita, the happier I am that the show smartened up her character - the author does a grave disservice to the character and the reader alike in writing her as an airhead that cannot string together a complete and concise sentence.

#3 The Eye Of The World: The Wheel Of Time Book 1
Not the best book ever but entertaining nonetheless. I still continued reading the series.

#4 The Great Hunt: The Wheel Of Time Book 2
Still not over impressed with the story, but compelled enough to move onto the next book.

#5 The Dragon Reborn: The Wheel Of Time Book 3
I didn't even bother finishing this one(got within the last 100 pages). The author spends too much time on minor details that don't matter in the least, bogging down the writing until I just didn't care about the over-arching story anymore.
Posted By: Karen Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/01/11 07:38 AM
The author spends too much time on minor details that don't matter in the least, bogging down the writing until I just didn't care about the over-arching story anymore.
That's one of the biggest complaints I've heard about the Wheel of Time series. I'm surprised, though. Most people make it to the 5th or 6th book before they get too bogged down. (Says the person who not only has read all the books out, but had to reread through 7-11 so she could remember what happened before reading 12...)
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/01/11 08:13 AM
RJ was definitely guilty of that. But I fell in love with enough of his characters and was (mostly) enthralled enough by the story to get over it. At least until book 7. After that, I started to get ticked off with how much padding there was and how obviously RJ was dragging things out to get more books out of the series.

I have the last 3 books to get to yet - like you, Karen, I'm going to have to read through again just so I'm up to speed, otherwise I'm going to be completely lost. goofy

LabRat smile
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/01/11 08:17 AM
While I'm here:

#73 The White Queen – Phillipa Gregory

As this one covers the same events as its companion, much of the tension and suspense are gone. But it was interesting all the same to see things from a different perspective – in this case Elizabeth Woodville (mother of the Princes in the Tower) and the York side of things, rather than the Lancaster.

#74 Summer of Night
#75 A Winter Haunting

Both by Dan Simmons. I really enjoyed these two. The first was very reminiscent of Stephen King's It - which is my favourite King novel - so I loved it for that and it's sequel, though a little less intense, was still very spooky. I thought the second ended a little too abruptly though and with a lot of questions unanswered.

#76 Caught - Harlen Coben

LabRat smile
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/01/11 11:56 AM
Oh thank God isn't just me making that complaint! I know that the books are pretty popular. dance dance
Posted By: suez Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/01/11 03:30 PM
Labby, Are you a speed reader? It usually takes me about 2 days for a book if I really work at it, but you seem to just whiz right through them.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/01/11 05:31 PM
LOL - Kindle seems to have taken off the restraints. laugh I don't have to force myself to read a book slowly anymore so that I don't get through it too fast and run out of something to read. I can just read at my own pace and that pace does seem to be fairly fast these days. I'm quite surprising myself with how quickly I'm running through a book these days, now that I have an almost infinite number of books waiting to be read and don't have to rein myself in.

Plus I have plenty of free time on hand, so I can pretty much spend all the time I want on reading.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/03/11 06:15 AM
#30 - "The Third Angel" by Alice Hoffman

#31 - "Midnight Cravings" a collection of six short stories by Michele Hauf, Karen Whiddon, Lori Devoti, Anna Leonard, Vivi Anna and Bonnie Vanak
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/07/11 05:58 AM
#32 - "Bad Girls of the Bible" by Liz Curtis Higgs

#33 - "Who Needs a Superhero? Finding Virtue, Vice, and What's Holy in the Comics" by H. Michael Brewer

#34 - "My French Whore" by Gene Wilder (yes, THAT Gene Wilder)

#35 - "The Woman Who Wouldn't" also by Gene Wilder
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/07/11 06:42 AM
#77 Presumed Guilty
#78 The Apprentice
#79 The Surgeon
#80 Never Say Die
#81 Vanish
#82 Peggy Sue Got Murdered

All by Tess Gerritson. Some of them from her former incarnation as a writer of romantic suspense and a couple from her current incarnation as a writer of much harder thrillers. I enjoyed them all. The romances were a little more lightweight, of course, but none the worse for that. Just quicker to get through.

Gerritson was a doctor before she became an author and it shows in her work. I often find I have to skip pages of very gruesome and minute details of post mortems in her thrillers, which for me is just TMI, but that's the only downside!

I'm kind of disappointed more of her books aren't currently available to me as I'd have been happy just continuing to read more from her right now.

Still, onward and upward. Plenty of other authors waiting for me. laugh

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/07/11 03:16 PM
#16 The Maze Runner by James Dashner.
My son was very excited about this book and insisted I read it. It's an intriguing premise though it ends with more questions than it started with.

Joan
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/07/11 07:52 PM
*bows to Labby's superior reading speed*
Posted By: Karen Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/07/11 08:48 PM
More re-reads
21. Lady Whistledown Strikes Back - Julia Quinn, Suzanne Enoch, Mia Ryan, and Karen Hawkins
22. Further Observations of Lady Whistledown - Julia Quinn, Suzanne Enoch, Mia Ryan, and Karen Hawkins

Both are Regency romances set in Julia Quinn's Bridgerton universe.

23. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing - Jude Blume - I had a revelation about Peter's turtle, so I had to read it. It's been many many years since the last time I read it!

23.5. Santa Baby - Jennifer Crusie, Lori Foster and Carly Phillips - I didn't finish this one. Jennifer Crusie's story was fast paced (took place in about 12 hours or so) and it didn't lend itself to any sort of character growth that I've seen in other short stories, such as the ones above. Her writing definitely works better in a longer format. Lori Foster's story was pure smut. Not what I was looking for, even in a romance novel, and definitely not something I felt comfortable reading in the middle of the restaurant where I was having lunch. I didn't even bother reading Carly Phillips' story, as the premise sounded equally as bad. Good thing this was a library book and not something I bought.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/08/11 07:34 AM
*bows to Labby's superior reading speed*
blush Sorry. I can't help it. goofy I'm just having way too much fun to stop. wink

#83 Poison: A Novel of the Renaissance - Sara Poole

I absolutely adored this look at the Borgias and Fifteenth Century Rome seen through the eyes of the fictional Francesca - official poisoner to Rodrigo Borgia.

Ms. Poole clearly believes that the Borgias were victims of malicious propaganda as here they are the good guys. Ruthless and ambitious, certainly, but no more so for the times they live in than anyone else around them and also honorable and even kind.

The fictional characters that interact with them are engaging and richly drawn and her writing style is easy to read. This one kept me on the edge of my seat until the small hours of the morning and I've already put book two on my wish list. Can't wait to see what happens to my new friends next!

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/08/11 10:14 PM
#17 Thin,Rich, Pretty by Beth Harbison
Light but entertaining.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/11/11 08:04 PM
#84 The Alexander Cipher – Will Adams
#85 The Exodus Quest – Will Adams
#86 The Lost Labyrinth – Will Adams

I was all set to dash off a few paragraphs about how much I was enjoying this series of archaeological adventures – but I’m still upset over the shocking ending to the third, in which one of the main characters was unexpectedly and brutally bumped off in the conclusion. eek

I sat up to the small hours, enthralled, and this is how you repay me, Will Adams? /me shakes her fist and curses. razz

LabRat smile (who's also pretty ticked about poor Argo, too...)
Posted By: DSDragon Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/14/11 10:10 PM
Since my Kindle broke, and I've had to re-organize everything in my collections, I figured I should now add the books I've finished since the last time I posted--so I don't forget again.

4. Deathworld by Harry Harrison (paperback)
5. I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett
6. The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch and Lee Chadeayne
7. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson and Reg Keeland
8. The Girl who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson and Reg Keeland
9. The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson and Reg Keeland
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/17/11 05:07 PM
#6 - Nerfertiti - Michelle Moran

I really liked this one. It's the story of the rise and fall of Nefertiti, the Pharaoh Akhenaten, and the city of Armana. It tracks the political discord as the Pharaoh turns from the "old" gods to the worship of Aten, the sun. Told from the point of view of Nefertiti's younger sister. It was a fun, interesting look into what life might have been like in ancient Egypt. The characters are well-painted and compelling. A fun read. I'll probably read the sequel, The Heretic Queen.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/19/11 07:51 AM
Many thanks to Sue for providing me with a new pile of Tess Gerritson books, just when I was in the mood to enjoy them. sloppy

#87 The Keepsake
#88 Whistleblower.
#89 Ice Cold
#90 Harvest
#91 Bloodstream
#92 The Sinner
#93 Body Double
#94 The Mephisto Club

And thanks, DC, for the headsup on Michelle Moran. Sounds very interesting and turns out I have three of hers among my Kindle collection. I'm looking forward to checking those out. I'm a sucker for books about ancient cultures.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/19/11 11:00 AM
And thanks, DC, for the headsup on Michelle Moran. Sounds very interesting and turns out I have three of hers among my Kindle collection. I'm looking forward to checking those out. I'm a sucker for books about ancient cultures.
Anytime Labby! I haven't started on her other ones yet. Working on a different book right now. smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/20/11 03:46 PM
#18 Save Me by Lisa Scottoline
Not quite what I thought it would be, but entertaining. Housewife solves murder mystery.

#19 Suffer the Children by Marilyn Wedge
Interesting book about the over use of medications for children with ADHD and such.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/20/11 06:43 PM
#95 Sovereign - C J Sansom

First I’ve read by this author - in the genre of historical murder mysteries - and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Full of the – often distasteful and disturbing – details of medieval life and with an engaging set of characters. Added enjoyment came from it being set to the backdrop of Henry VIII’s Great Northern Progress, so I had fun with the fresh perspective on all the familiar characters I knew from watching The Tudors. Rather sad I only have the one book as I’d have loved to have read more in Sansom’s Matthew Shardlake series.
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/22/11 03:13 PM
#7 - Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry

This is suppossedly a companion to "The Giver" but it falls FAR short of the amazing story that "The Giver" was. In this book, Kira, a girl with a twisted leg, is taken by the village council to become the one who works on the robe that the village Singer wears once a year to recount the story of the world. She must learn how to dye the threads that she will use to repair and create new places on the robe - but no one knows how to make the color blue. I was honestly extremely disappointed with this book. I felt like the story ended just when it started to get a little interesting. If you are going to read a Lois Lowry book, just stick to "The Giver" (one of my favorites) and call it a day.
Posted By: Olive Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/23/11 03:30 PM
#9 - The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton

I promised myself that this year I would read classics. Started with The Great Gatsby (which I loved mostly due to its fast pace, and the way the characters linked to each other) and just finished The Age of Innocence.

For a book that won the Pulitzer I wasn't expecting such lukewarmness. All the way through it seemed like nothing essential was happening, even though the relationships between the characters were shifting - but still it was too platonical for my taste. And the ways of old New York's upperclass families were too superficial to empathise with them. I didn't dislike the book but I kept expecting that something happened untill the last page and that moment never really came.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/24/11 05:17 AM
#96 Nefertiti
#97 The Heretic Queen
#98 Cleopatra's Daughter

All by Michelle Moran, of course. Ancient Egypt and Rome brought vividly to life. I think CD was my favourite, but I enjoyed them all and I'll definitely by adding this author to my watch list in the future.

#99 Takeover – Lisa Black
#100 Evidence of Murder– Lisa Black
#101 The Road – Cormac MacCarthy
#102 The Gateway Trilogy 1: Night Gate – Isabelle Carmody
#103 The Gateway Trilogy 2: Winter Door – Isabelle Carmody

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/28/11 09:26 AM
#20 Faith by Jennifer Haigh

This writer does an interesting job of creating characters from different eras.

Joan
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 06/28/11 10:44 AM
#96 Nefertiti
#97 The Heretic Queen
#98 Cleopatra's Daughter

All by Michelle Moran, of course. Ancient Egypt and Rome brought vividly to life. I think CD was my favourite, but I enjoyed them all and I'll definitely by adding this author to my watch list in the future.
Glad you liked them Labby! I'm only about 100 pages into HQ right now.
Posted By: Anne Spear Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 07/02/11 06:42 AM
#36 - "Deception Point" by Dan Brown

#37 - "Angelology" by Danielle Trussoni (okay plot but very abrupt ending)

#38 - "Lover Unleashed" by J.R. Ward (latest in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series)

#39 - "Dark Lover" by J.R. Ward (first in the Black Dagger series - decided to start over)
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 07/02/11 08:44 AM
The Survivor’s Club – Lisa Gardner
The Other Daughter – Lisa Gardner
The Perfect Husband – Lisa Gardner
The Stone Child – Dan Poblocki

I Am Not A Serial Killer – Dan Wells

The title of this one put me off a little – I had no clue what it was about, actually thought it might be a true crime book, and I had my doubts when I opened it up, but I’m so glad I did. It could very well have been titled “Dexter: The Teen Years” instead and it has many – thoroughly enjoyable – parallels with the Dexter novels.

15 YO John Cleaver knows he’s a sociopath and has developed a set of personal rules to avoid the destiny he believes fate is pushing him towards – to become a serial killer. But now a real, honest-to-goodness serial killer is stalking his small community and a choice has to be made….

Told in the first person, it has the same wry, dark humour, the matter-of-fact attitude to murder and the honest, almost child-like bewilderment when dealing with people and the world that Dexter exhibits. I LOL’d quite a lot during this, when I wasn’t being squicked out. goofy And to my delight it’s the first in a series – which I am definitely going to have to read more of. If you enjoy Dexter, you might want to give these a try.

Anne, what did you make of Deception Point? I'm not a huge DB fan, but I thought that one was the best I'd read and actually better than TDC or AAD.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 07/02/11 11:29 AM
I Am Not A Serial Killer – Dan Wells

The title of this one put me off a little – I had no clue what it was about, actually thought it might be a true crime book, and I had my doubts when I opened it up, but I’m so glad I did. It could very well have been titled “Dexter: The Teen Years” instead and it has many – thoroughly enjoyable – parallels with the Dexter novels.

15 YO John Cleaver knows he’s a sociopath and has developed a set of personal rules to avoid the destiny he believes fate is pushing him towards – to become a serial killer. But now a real, honest-to-goodness serial killer is stalking his small community and a choice has to be made….

Told in the first person, it has the same wry, dark humour, the matter-of-fact attitude to murder and the honest, almost child-like bewilderment when dealing with people and the world that Dexter exhibits. I LOL’d quite a lot during this, when I wasn’t being squicked out. And to my delight it’s the first in a series – which I am definitely going to have to read more of. If you enjoy Dexter, you might want to give these a try.
Um, that sounds AWESOME! I love Dexter! I might have to check these out! laugh
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 07/05/11 09:43 PM
#8 - The Heretic Queen - Michelle Moran

I really enjoyed this one. I love the Egypt that the author paints for her readers. I have Cleopatra's Daughter on hold at the library and I am hoping it comes in soon.
Posted By: Karen Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 07/07/11 01:33 PM
24. Manhunting - Jennifer Crusie
25. A Game of Thrones - George RR Martin
26. A Clash of Kings - George RR Martin

My husband got me these books after we started watching the series. I found out that the series is extremely faithful to the first book. I pretty much devoured the second wanting to know what happened to the characters, and who would die next. As I'd heard from a coworker and my boss, do not get attached to any character. I can't wait to get the third book, though it's nice to have a bit of a break before diving into that world again.

27. The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes - Jennifer Crusie, Eileen Dreyer and Anne Stuart

This isn't a book of short stories, but rather a multi-authored book. An enjoyable read, and I found it difficult to figure out who wrote which part.

28. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Oh yes, it's that time again! One last re-read before the last movie comes out.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 07/08/11 07:43 PM
Slayer – DL Snow.

No Buffy in sight, just a fairly enjoyable fairy tale about princesses and dragons. I had fun, but the characterisations didn’t go far enough beyond caricature and the plot didn’t have enough depth to it to make this a keeper. Ended somewhat rushed, too.

Shadow’s Son – Jon Sprunk

A bit of a BSF (Bog Standard Fantasy). Again, enjoyable enough for what it was, but nothing special.

Sword of Shadows 1: A Cavern of Black Ice – J V Jones.

Definitely a keeper. The pace was a little slow in the middle section, but the characters were fascinating enough to overcome that and I’m looking forward to reading the others in this fantasy series.

Rogue Angel #1: Destiny – “Alex Archer”

I wasn’t expecting much from this one. Given what I’d read of this large series on Wiki:

Rogue Angel is a paper back series of novels published bi-monthly since July 2006 by Harlequin Publishing's Gold Eagle division and written under the house name of Alex Archer. Actual authors are credited with small notes inside the books, but not on the front covers or spines. The main character is Annja Creed. Each novel offers an adventure based on history or mythology, with a heavy fantasy slant. Annja Creed is a world-travelling archaeologist with a penchant for adventure, lost cities, mysterious codes and puzzles, and shadowy history that was never recorded. Heir to Joan of Arc's mystic sword, Annja finds herself drawn into the webs of darkest villainy with lives on the line.
I was expecting no more than a lightweight, fast-paced romp, full of lightweight, 2-dimensional characters. A Lara Croft-lite clone. But to my surprise this one had a lot more depth and much more rounded characters than I was expecting and that comparison does it a great disservice. I’ve several more logged onto my Kindle, so I’ll be reading more. Rather enjoyable.

Rogue Angel #2: Solomon’s Jar – “Alex Archer”

This second book in the series suffered from what I assume to be the problem with varying authors writing the books. I got tired of our heroine being attacked by gangs of angry, machete-wielding locals practically every two pages, only to be rescued by an unlikely ally at the last minute. Essentially, it was the same scene repeated endlessly. In between, there seemed to be an awful lot of dialogue about things that didn’t interest me. So too much repetition in the plot and way too much boring exposition. A bit of a disappointment. Roll on book three!

LabRat smile
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 07/17/11 07:56 AM
Rogue Angel #3: The Spider Stone
Rogue Angel #4: The Chosen
Rogue Angel #5: Forbidden City
Rogue Angel #6: The Lost Scrolls
Rogue Angel #7: God of Thunder

Okay, now that I've read through a few of these, a pattern emerges.

The odd-numbered novels (so far. I believe later novels are written by other authors) are written by Mel Odom and are fast-paced adventures with an interesting array of secondary characters and some witty dialogue.

The even-numbered novels are written by Victor Milan and are turgid, boring examples of how not to write an adventure. Full of pages and pages of uninspiringly presented exposition interspersed with scenes of our heroine being attacked by gangs of men whom she dispatches with ease. (This happens with monotonous regularity at the rate of almost one a chapter.)

I resent having to read the VM adventures in case I miss anything significant in our heroine's character development, before I can get to OM's rousing romps and back to the enjoyment.

I'll be interested to see what the other authors I haven't got to yet do with the characters, but at the moment I'd kind of wishing MO had written all of them so far!

LabRat smile
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 07/21/11 06:44 PM
Rogue Angel #8 : The Secret of the Slaves

A Victor Milan outing, so pretty boring – and rather bizarre. Anyway, things are getting to be pretty samey, so I think a break is in order while I go read other things. I’ll probably return to more in the series later, though.

Don’t Stop Me Now – Jeremy Clarkson

If you know Jezza, then you know what to expect. If you don’t – suffice it to say the man has opinions. Hoo boy, does he. I don’t always agree with them, but he always make me laugh whether I do or don’t.

Desert Places – Blake Crouch

Rather good example of a psychological thriller – I’ll need to check out more by this author. Not least the sequel to this one.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 07/23/11 11:08 AM
#9 - The Green Mile by Stephen King

This is the only Stephen King novel that I've read so far that I like (granted, I've only read a handful of them). But I loved the movie, so I gave the book a chance. I think that, while a powerful book, the movie hit the emotional nerve much better. But all around, this was a great book.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 07/27/11 08:51 AM
The Tide Lords 1: The Immortal Prince
The Tide Lords 2: The Gods of Amyrantha
The Tide Lords 3: The Palace of Impossible Dreams
The Tide Lords 4: The Chaos Crystal

By Jennifer Fallon. Despite all the odds, I really loved this fantasy quartet. Enough that each book kept me up into the small hours, desperate to know what happened next. Of course, it's flawed and no George Martin. The plot is often contrived and too often depends heavily on the characters being dumb as two short planks. I was especially irritated by the fact that Arkady seemed mostly there just to get captured and in need of rescue at the most inconvenient moments.

Which is why I'm surprised I enjoyed it so much. Despite the obvious irksome moments though, I was immediately taken with the characters, so that I spent my time cursing out the bad guys and wishing horrid deaths on them and chewing my nails that things would turn out right for our heroes. And I'd definitely read more from JF in the future.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 07/30/11 10:08 PM
#10 - I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells

I liked the overall premise of this book. John Wayne Cleaver knows that he has sociopathic tendencies but refuses to cave to them. It did feel kind of like a young Dexter (although young Dexter embraced his tendencies to kill only bad people). I hated the sci-fi aspect of who the Clayton County Killer really was though. I wanted it to be a real human being, like on Dexter.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 07/31/11 05:31 AM
'48
Domain
Once

All by James Herbert. Always been a middle of the range author for me; his early work was a bit too pulp horror for my tastes and I've only enjoyed the odd one or two of what he's written since. And so it was with these. The only one I really liked was '48. And absolutely hated Once.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Olive Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 07/31/11 10:02 AM
While I was waiting for the new MaryJanice Davidson book to come out, I reread all the previous Betsy Vampire Queen books and discovered that I didn't remember all that much from them... But still it was a fun experience and now I'm all refreshed on the story. Also, I'm liking where the author is going with the current arc. I can't wait for the next one in 2012.

#10 Undead and Unwed

#11 Undead and Unemployed

#12 Undead and Unappreciated

#13 Undead and Unreturnable

#14 Undead and Unpopular

#15 Undead and Uneasy

#16 Undead and Unworthy

#17 Undead and Unwelcome

#18 Undead and Unfinished

# 19 Undead and Undermined

Meanwhile I also finished a book I've been reading on and off for over a year.

# 20 Notes on Nursing: what it is and what it is not - Florence
Nightingale

It's a late 19th century guide about the care of the sick, as the title and author imply. Still, it's interesting because in it can be seen the basis for current nursing care and it's extremely informative. For example, the statistics at the end are shocking when you realize that the youngest nurses were children's nurses and had about 5 years of age.

Also, it's an ebook available for free at The Internet Archive
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 08/02/11 10:29 AM
#21 The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

a re-read but still an engaging and disturbing plot.

#22 Night Road by Kristin Hannah and #23 BeachCombers by Nancy Thayer

Nice, light summer reads

#24 The Gift of an Ordinary Day by Katrina Kenison While I agree in theory with this author's quest for a simpler life and appreciation of the small details, some of this book drove me nuts.

#25 The Scorch Trials by James Dashner

The second in a post-apocolytic series, I'm not sure if we're going to get all the answers promised in a third volume.

Joan
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 08/02/11 10:48 AM
The second in a post-apocolytic series,
Oooh. I'm a sucker for this theme and looks like I have book one on my Kindle. Adding to my reading list. Thanks!

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 08/16/11 08:09 AM
#26 The Liberation of Alice Love by Abby McDonald

a different spin on identity theft
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 08/16/11 08:24 AM
Bad Blood (Virgil Flowers)
Prey Series (Lucas Davenport):

Silent Prey
Winter Prey
Night Prey
Mind Prey
Sudden Prey
Secret Prey

All by John Sandford. Another hit and miss author for me. I couldn't get through the two books I tried in his Kidd series. I thought the Flowers book was okay. But I really love the Prey series. Hard to believe they're by the same author, really.

Davenport and his colleagues are engaging and fun characters, the banter is often laugh out loud funny and the villains always intriguing and out of the ordinary.

Thankfully, I still have a fair few of the series to get through, as I'm currently at the point where every time I get to the end of one book, I'm desperate for more. So I'm trawling through the series a bit of a happy bunny right now, having a whale of a time.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Mouserocks Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 08/16/11 01:19 PM
Gah! I wish I'd found this list sooner! I don't remember all of the books I've read this year (and on a side note: eek Labby! How? So many books... ) I read a lot of classics *coughcoughNERDcough*, in particular four different Shakespeare plays ("Hamlet", "Richard the Third", "Much Ado About Nothing" and "The Taming of the Shrew") of which I loved them all. I also read multiple Agatha Christie mysteries, a couple of Monk books, Alice in Wonderland (that counts as classic, doesn't it?), and once again, because I'm a nerd and I read this series over again every year, all nine of the Legacy of the Force Star Wars novels. I've started the next Star Wars series, and I'm trying to finish the Alex Rider books leftover from childhood. Oh, and "the complete tales and poems of Edgar Allan Poe". Which should count as numerous books because it's so long, but I don't want to go through and count all the stories in there.

Maybe when I actually get done reading something else I'll post it, otherwise I might just wait and start fresh next year. cool
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 08/17/11 08:12 AM
(and on a side note: [Eek!] Labby! How? So many books... )
LOL. The funny thing is that I never considered myself to be an especially fast reader. But I guess to judge from the reactions of people on this thread, I must be! I certainly don't try to read fast and I'm not aware that I'm doing so while reading - but I guess it must be pretty speedy all the same. laugh

What can I say - I just love reading. Grab my book every spare minute I can get, never happier when curled up on the sofa, reading, and it's not unknown for me to sit up half the night into the small hours of the morning if I get engrossed in a plot or a book I simply can't put down. (Which is what happened last night and why I'm almost through the next Prey book already. <G>)

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 08/19/11 06:57 AM
#27 Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 08/21/11 06:42 PM
#11 - Cleopatra's Daughter - Michelle Moran

For some reason, I found this one the hardest of the three to get into. I don't really know why that was. But I did enjoy it. It was interesting seeing the infusion of Rome to the story. But I felt like it moved the slowest of her books.
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 08/22/11 06:24 PM
#28 Vanished by Carlton Smith

Okay true crime book.

Joan
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 08/22/11 08:26 PM
More of John Sandford's Prey series:

Certain Prey
Easy Prey
Chosen Prey
Mortal Prey

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 08/25/11 01:25 PM
#29 What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
Engaging story about a woman who suffers a head injury and forgets ten years of her life.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 08/29/11 05:17 PM
And more John Sandford:

Naked Prey
Hidden Prey
Broken Prey
Invisible Prey

Almost had a serious disaster yesterday when my Kindle froze during a recharge. Ended up with some glitches, but fortunately the main one - bookmarks no longer working and a book not remembering what page I was on if I closed it down - seems to have affected just the book I was in the middle of yesterday. The new one I opened up today is holding its last page, so hopefully all future books will too. Phew! thud

I still have a glitch where it's putting the current collection at the end of my collections list instead of at the top, but I can live with that!

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/03/11 04:46 PM
#30 Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan
#31 Shattered by Kathryn Casey
Posted By: Olive Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/04/11 01:53 PM
#21 Nelson Mandela - Albrecht Hegemann

An updated biography.

#22 Strictly Business - Francesca Clementis

#23 Girl Meets Ape - Chris Manby

Summer chick lit

#24 The Secret of Shambala - James Redfield

Spiritual voyage meets science fiction

#25 The Color of Magic - Terry Pratchett

After years of waiting, I've finally read the first Discworld novel. Hurray!!!

# 26 A Casa Quieta - Rodrigo Guedes de Carvalho

A novel about loss and life by one of the best portuguese contemporary writers.

# 27 A Streetcar named Desire & other plays - Tenessee Williams

A compilation of four plays: Cat on a hot tin roof, Suddenly Last Summer, Summer and Smoke, A Streetcar named Desire. Wonderful.

It's beeing a busy summer. Seems like I might actually reach the 50 book mark smile
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/05/11 11:04 PM
#12 - Lois and Clark: Heatwave

#13 - Lois and Clark: Exile

#14 - Lois and Clark: Dangerous Games

A bit of very light reading. They aren't great by any means, but they *were* fun. I think I liked Exile the best. Heatwave was fun with the premise of Lois and Clark going undercover on a film shoot. But then again, I love anything to do with film. smile Dangerous Games was my least favorite because it felt like Clark got a lobotomy in that one. He really *was* a lunkhead in it. However, I did like all of the Lois kicking butt and taking names parts of all three.

All in all, I've read much better fanfics from our talented pool of writers here on the boards and the archive.

Starting A Game Of Thrones now...
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/06/11 09:25 AM
Have to agree, DC. I thought these three were a lot of fun when I read them, years back, so long as you didn't take them too seriously. But fanfic beats them by a mile - cheaper, too. laugh

Hope you enjoy GoT!

LabRat smile
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/06/11 10:42 PM
Have to agree, DC. I thought these three were a lot of fun when I read them, years back, so long as you didn't take them too seriously. But fanfic beats them by a mile - cheaper, too. laugh

Hope you enjoy GoT!

LabRat smile
Thanks Labby! I used my Amazon gift card to pick up the LnC books - can't beat free (and they were all 1 penny each before the shipping).

GoT is going well - about 50 pages in at the moment. So far, so good. laugh
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/08/11 10:23 AM
My reading time was curtailed in the last week and a half. Mostly due to the glitches on the Kindle becoming impossible, so I had to make the tough decision to reset to factory settings. And then spend four days putting 934 books back on the Kindle and sorting them back into Collections again. Oy! jump

Last of the Prey series:

Phantom Prey
Wicked Prey
Storm Prey
Buried Prey
Rules of Prey
Shadow Prey

Having spent so long on one thriller series, although I greatly enjoyed them and they've become big favourites, I'm looking forward to changing direction. I'm in the mood for some SFantasy now and, as it happens, I've just discovered that Jim Butcher has written one that looks very intriguing. So off to get started on that.

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/12/11 03:50 PM
#32 The Physcik Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

Interesting spin on the Salem Witch trials
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/16/11 08:50 PM
The Codex Alera Series - Jim Butcher.

Furies of Calderon.
Academ's Fury
Cursor's Fury
Captain's Fury
Princep's Fury
First Lord's Fury

I absolutely loved this fantasy series. Full of engaging characters (Tavi and Kitai in particular are just adorable), humour, action, drama, romance... Some of its power is diluted by the author's refusal to kill of any of his major characters so that by the time you get to beyond book one you can't really feel much for the peril they get into. But, you know, sometimes that's no bad thing. laugh It didn't hurt Eddings and in some ways The Belgariad is what this series reminds me of. Although the number of times each character almost dies and is brought back by magic healing does get a little irksome after a while. Still, each book kept me up to the small hours, unable to go to bed until I read 'just one more chapter' and found out what happened next. Which is surely the sign of a successful series. Hugely enjoyable.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Mpj891 Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/18/11 02:02 PM
Hope it's alright to join your 50 book challenge
iam not as quick at reading as lab rat who seems to have a super power in this area
So off I go

No,1 Agatha christie- the mysterious mr quin
Not as well know as her other two certions miss maple or hercule poirot but mr quin is very diffant he appears from nowhere he comes and goes no one knows who is
But with his help mr satterthwaite a looker on life that see things others do not and plays a real part in life at last togather they unravel strange mysteries from love to murder in 12 short stories that offer something for everyone

No,2 Walter Scott - Ivanhoe
Can't beat a classic Story of days gone bye that has everything in it
idea for a long train trip to work

No,3 Agatha christie - curtain :poirot's last case
The great belgium detective last case very sad but one of his best with arthur hastings back to give assistance to be his eye and ears in this case with poirot's legs gone but with the little grey cells still working there is many mysteries to be found at there 2nd vist to styles court that now is a guest house
This was one of her best story's so many twists and turns that ever when your have found out what happen it's still a stock
Just great

No,4 bernard cornwell- the pale horseman
Set in 871-899 of king Alfred reign
The main hero is uhtred who is Saxon cheated of his inheritance,adrift in a world of fire and treachery he has to make a choice :whether to fight for the Vikings who raised him or for king Alfred who dislikes him
Uhtred finds himself on Alfred side in a uneasy alliance that's leads them to the last remaining Saxon army and will fight for the very existence of England

No,5 Harry sidebottom- part 1 fire in the east
Set in the roman empire of 256ad the hero is ballista who is a barbarian in the roman army lots of battles and superior fiction a good read

No ,6 harry sidebottom - part 2 warrior of Rome
Ballista has returned to an imperial court obsessed with intrigue and religious fanaticism . Then he discovers men who would rather see him dead than alive
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/18/11 07:43 PM
Black Creek Crossing - John Saul
House of Reckoning - John Saul

Trademark creepiness and ghostly goings on. Saul has never been in the top flight of horror writers for me, but these were fun enough anyway. And quite short, it seemed. That's the trouble with Kindle - no idea how many pages were in either of these. But they didn't seem very long.

Course I might just have gotten through them so fast because for the past two days I've been stuck upstairs bored out of my mind with nothing else to do but read - while Stuart paints the living room. laugh

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/18/11 10:06 PM
#33 Forty Signs of Rain by Kim Stanley Robinson

Although I like science fiction and this writer does a great job explaining science concepts and even how the process of science works (grant reviews,polititcs, etc), this book never fully engaged me.
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/23/11 12:17 PM
#34 Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner

I read another book by this author that I really liked. I wasn't as impressed by this one.

Joan
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/26/11 08:49 AM
You Belong To Me - Mary Higgins Clark
Let Me Call You Sweetheart - Mary Higgins Clark

Through A Dark Mist - Marsha Canham
In The Shadow of Midnight - Marsha Canham

I thoroughly enjoyed these two historical romances, set in the reign of Prince John. The romance did tend to wander a little too much into bodice-ripper territory for my tastes now and then, but that didn't detract from it being fun with a large group of characters I grew rather fond of. Wouldn't mind reading more from this author - especially as the second book rather contained a teaser for another story in its ending, although each book is a separate story in its own right, but with some of the same characters spanning each.

ETA: Aha - and a quick scan of MC's books on Amazon reveals that these two are first and second in her Robin Hood Trilogy - so guess The Last Arrow, the third book, will be the tale of the tease. laugh

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

I've been meaning to get to this one for a long time now and I was not disappointed. Absolutely superb. I was unable to put it down until I was done and now I'm desperate to find out what happens next. I suspect books 2 and 3 will keep me up well into the night, on the edge of my seat, just as much as this one did. It's been a long time since a book provoked as many "OMG" and "Oh, you SOB!" moments out of me while I was reading. razz

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/28/11 07:45 AM
#35 Peeps by Scott Westerfeld
I'm not a huge vampire fan but my son likes this author so I thought I'd try it out. Interesting twist on vampire lore.

At this rate, I don't think I'm going to reach 50 books by the end of Dec. mecry But I haven't officially given up.

Joan
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/28/11 07:47 AM
LabRat, you'll have to let me know what you think of the ending once you've finished all three books. My family and I disagree on that one.

Joan

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

I've been meaning to get to this one for a long time now and I was not disappointed. Absolutely superb. I was unable to put it down until I was done and now I'm desperate to find out what happens next. I suspect books 2 and 3 will keep me up well into the night, on the edge of my seat, just as much as this one did. It's been a long time since a book provoked as many "OMG" and "Oh, you SOB!" moments out of me while I was reading. razz

LabRat smile
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/28/11 05:24 PM
Catching Fire (Hunger Games 2) - Suzanne Collins.
Mockingjay (Hunger Games 3) - Suzanne Collins.

Well, I've just this minute read the last of Mockingjay and I feel I have to put down my thoughts while they're fresh in my head.

What did I think of the ending? I cried when Buttercup showed up. goofy There were a few small details I didn't agree with - and all I'll say on that is that I can't help thinking about Snow's grand-daughter. frown

But on the whole...it fit. It was a bittersweet ending and it felt right. And there wasn't a moment in the entire trilogy where I wasn't riveted to the page. This was a truly remarkable piece of work, that I'll revisit again as an old favourite in years to come.

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/28/11 05:33 PM
I prefered Boy A too but it was okay. My husband and daughter felt the ending was a tremendous let down. She wanted a truly happy ending while my husband felt happier or sadder would've been better. My son and I thought it was fine as written. Definitely an excellent series of books. I hope the movie does it justice.

Joan

[b]Catching Fire (Hunger Games 2) - Suzanne Collins.
Mockingjay (Hunger Games 3) - Suzanne Collins.

Well, I've just this minute read the last of Mockingjay and I feel I have to put down my thoughts while they're fresh in my head.

What did I think of the ending? I cried when Buttercup showed up. goofy There were a few small details I didn't agree with - and all I'll say on that is that I can't help thinking about Snow's grand-daughter. frown

But on the whole...it fit. It was a bittersweet ending and it felt right. And there wasn't a moment in the entire trilogy where I wasn't riveted to the page. This was a truly remarkable piece of work, that I'll revisit again as an old favourite in years to come.

LabRat smile [/b]
Posted By: IolantheAlias Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/28/11 09:23 PM
Re "The Hunger Games" trilogy - one could argue that the ending was a bit of a downer. (I don't want to do any spoiling here.) I personally thought that it was well within the context of the stories. Katniss et al have been through a whole lot. They're not going to come out of everything unscarred.

I'm in agreement with Labby - I thought it was an excellent series. It's certainly one that left me thinking for a long time afterward.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/29/11 06:54 AM
Katniss et al have been through a whole lot. They're not going to come out of everything unscarred.
This was definitely my thinking. If there had been a traditionally fairytale happy ending I don't think it would have satisfied me as much as the bittersweet ending we got. It wouldn't have felt true. Nor would I have been satisfied with a completely downbeat ending as I felt the characters deserved better than that. All things considered, I think it was the right ending for the characters.

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/29/11 07:50 AM
Katniss et al have been through a whole lot. They're not going to come out of everything unscarred.
This was definitely my thinking. If there had been a traditionally fairytale happy ending I don't think it would have satisfied me as much as the bittersweet ending we got. LabRat smile
Yeah! I completely agree with you LabRat and IolantheAlias thumbsup

Joan
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 09/30/11 05:46 PM
Year of Wonders - Geraldine Brooks

I was halfway through this historical novel when I became aware that its bones were based on a true story: Eyam - The Plague Village

In 1666, a small English village was hit by Plague. In a moment of collective courage, all 300+ of its souls made a pact to stay there, cut off from the rest of the world, rather than cut and run and spread the disease to their neighbours. Many, of course, succumbed to the disease, but their sacrifice probably saved many other lives.

With the addition of sympathetic characters and a stirring plot, the author builds on the bones of this poignant tale and gives a fascinating account of what it must have been like to have so many of the people who made up your small world vanish almost overnight in the most terrible of circumstances. A truly remarkable story.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Olive Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/01/11 04:40 AM
#28 - Poesia Completa - Florbela Espanca

The complete works of the poet who spoke of unattainable love and death. Usually I don't read poetry (unless it's Fernando Pessoa and his other personas) but found this book on the public library and just couldn't resist it. Florbela Espanca is as known for her tragic life as for her also tragic poetry (in the brief period of the first portuguese republic - 1910 to 1934 - she was married three or four times and made more or less the same number of suicide attempts - one of which was successfull). The book is more or less chronological and we can see the evolution of the poet and of her depression, as the themes become progressively more centered around death.

#29 - A Conspiracy of paper - David Liss

#30 The Coffee Trader - David Liss

Both books are historical romances and I must admit that the reason I was first drawn to them was because the main characters are either portuguese or of portuguese descent and jews during the dark period of the Inquisition. Still the Inquisition is just a shadow that passes here and there but of no real consequence since the novels are set in The Netherlands and England - countries where the jews were safe from the malpractices of the catholic church at that time. At the core they're stories of two distinct adventures and were a great entertainment for me.

#31 - Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt

I've been meaning to read this book for years and now that I did it surpassed my expectations. Apart from being a sort of biography, it's also a sort of sattire.

#32 - The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas père

The classic of the month. It was a good read.

#33 - The Light Fantastic - Terry Pratchett

I'm continuing to read the Discworld books (still have a long way to go...). So far it's being one of the best literary experiences I've ever had. (It's fun!!)

#34 - Purple Hibiscus - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

A wonderful book. The nigerian setting plays as great a part in the book as the characters.

#35 - Marina - Carlos Ruiz Zafón

A gothic romance set in Barcelona. I loved it, but then again, it has Barcelona in it. And a misterious mansion. And a character that is a homage to Frankenstein. And so on. But speaking more seriously, it made me reflect on the obsession of men to prolong their lives beyond the natural cycle.

#36 - Summer Crossing - Truman Capote

The last book I read in September is was publicated posthumously and it's an unfinished work. But nevertheless it's captivating. As the Summer crosses so does Grady grow. But...
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/01/11 06:01 AM
I'm continuing to read the Discworld books (still have a long way to go...). So far it's being one of the best literary experiences I've ever had. (It's fun!!)
I don't know if you're reading in order, Olive, but if you are, you've got way more fun to come! laugh I've always thought that the Rincewind books were a lot of fun, but absolutely nothing compared to the hilarity once you get to the books about the City Watch and the witches, Nanny Og and Granny Weatherwax. Would be interesting to see if you agree. Regardless - enjoy!

LabRat smile
Posted By: Olive Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/01/11 02:48 PM
Thank you LabRat! Yes, I am reading them in order - since they're so many that this is the easiest way not to lose track.
I just started Equal Rites and loved the premise. Now it's just a matter of seeing where the story goes. But one thing I've already learned: they're not the kind of books to read in public. blush People tend to stare when you have a laughing fit on the bus stop - even if they understand that you're not mad, just reading something awesome. laugh
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/04/11 09:10 AM
King Raven 1: Hood - Stephen Lawhead

I was a little wary of starting this Robin Hood trilogy - what new is there to say? But as a huge fan of Robin of Sherwood, I wanted to give it a go. Setting the legend in Wales was a good start laugh and the author made a fair case for his theories, but, sadly, there was a huge chunk in the middle which dragged for me.

Sadly, the author made the mistake of taking a boring event - a long convalescence from wounding for our hero - and actually detailed every moment of it. So we got endless pages of Bran being laid up in bed listening to Angharad sing and cook stew, night after night after night. That kind of thing just tends to bore the reader along with the hero, I'm afraid.

And at the end, our hero's boorish treatment of Merian - with whom he had no romantic or other relationship at that point - rather turned me off him completely. It never bodes well if you don't like the hero. laugh

I did persevere with the second book, Scarlet, but unfortunately it was written in first person from the perspective of Will Scarlet, who I didn't find a particularly competent storyteller. I did quite enjoy the interspersing chapters from the villains' perspective and the theories on how the legend was born - the English conversion of the Welsh for King Raven becoming Robin Hood, for example - were intriguing, but it wasn't enough to keep me interested enough to continue, so I gave up after a third of it.

LabRat smile
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/07/11 11:19 AM
The Troy Series - David Gemmell

I - Lord of the Silver Bow
II - Shield of Thunder
III - Fall of Kings

I've always avoided Gemmell as an author because the fantasy sub-genre of Battle Fantasy has never appealed. But this alternative history set in the period leading up to and including the Trojan Wars intrigued me so I thought I'd give it a try and I'm so glad I did. I was enthralled throughout by Gemmell's fantasy take on history, full of rich characters and a plot that made much more sense to me than the reality/myth as we know it.

I finished its final pages with a lump in my throat and a smile and I'm definitely going to try more of Gemmell's work in the future.

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/10/11 08:03 AM
#36 The Giver by Lois Lowry

I can't believe I haven't picked this one up before since I love futuristic society plots. My daughter is reading it in English so she let me read it too. Great story.

A Season of Darkness by Douglas Jones and Phyllis Gobbell

More true crime.

Joan
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/10/11 08:59 AM
Best Laid Plans
Another one whose title I can't even remember, despite finishing it only last night (which should tell you all you need to know laugh )

Both by Sidney Sheldon. I had a period of reading Sheldon back when I was a teen so this was something of a nostalgia trip for me. But, hoo boy. I have no idea why this author has been so phenomenally successful over the years. Cardboard characters whose motives are, at times, bizarre, completely implausible plots which defy logic and a writing style that is fragmented and confusing...I read the second one just in case I'd picked a bad apple first time around, but seems not as it was every bit as flawed as the first.

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/15/11 12:39 PM
#38 Love Her to Death by M. William Phelps

Can you tell my uncle gave me a bag of true crime novels?
Posted By: carolm Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/16/11 07:44 PM
Okay - I'm jumping in late but...

I'm also setting up my office which will have bookcases and is where most of my books are at the moment so when I put them up in the next week or so, I'll have to make a more complete list. Ditto going through my Kindle but off the top of my head so far this year...

1. Sweet Caroline by Rachel Hauck
2. Dry As Rain by Gina Holmes
3. Crossing Oceans by Gina Holmes
4. Save the Date by Jenny B. Jones
5. The Preacher's Bride by Jody Hedlund
6. The Doctor's Lady by Jody Hedlund
7. The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson
8. Love Remains by Kaye Dacus
9. Art of Romance by Kaye Dacus
10. A Stray Drop of Blood by Roseanna M. White
11. Jewel of Persia by Roseanna M. White
12. Tying the Knot by Susan May Warren
13. My Foolish Heart by Susan May Warren
14. Happily Ever After by Susan May Warren
15. Gone to Green by Judy Christie
16. Goodness Gracious Green by Judy Christie
17. Rancher's Reunion by Tina Radcliffe
18. Stealing Jake by Pam Hillman
19. Oklahoma Reunion by Tina Radcliffe
20. Michal by Jill Eileen Smith
21. Abigail by Jill Eileen Smith
22. Bathsheba by Jill Eileen Smith
23. Deeply Devoted by Maggie Brendan
24. Shadowed in Silk by Christine Lindsay
25. Seasons by Elizabeth Byler Younts
26. The Prophetess One: At Risk by Linda Rohrbough
27. Reunited Hearts by Ruth Logan Herne
28. A Family for Faith by Missy Tippens
29. Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar
30. Bound by Guilt by CJ Darlington
31. Wanted: A Family by Janet Dean
32. Second Chance Courtship by Glynna Kaye

By Deeanne Gist
33. Maid to Match
34. A Bride in the Bargain
35. Deep in the Heart of Trouble
36. Courting Trouble
37. Measure of a Lady
38. A Bride Most Begrudging

By Mary Connealy
39. Gingham Mountain
40. Cowboy Christmas
41. Deep Trouble
42. Montana Rose
43. Husband Tree
44. Wildflower Bride
45. Doctor in Petticoats
46. Wrangler in Petticoats
47. Sharpshooter in Petticoats
48. Out of Control

By Erica Vetsch
49. Before the Dawn
50. Clara and the Cowboy
51. Lily and the Lawman
52. Maggie and the Maverick
53. Bartered Bride
54. Marriage Masquerade
55. Engineered Engagement

By Julie Klassen
56. Apothecary's Daughter
57. Lady of Milkweed Manor
58. The Girl in the Gatehouse

By Janice Thompson
59. Fools Rush In
60. Swinging on a Star
61. It Had to Be You
62. Stars Collide [this one had a very L/C feel to it to me]
63. Hello, Hollywood
64. Love Finds You in Groom, Texas [as Janice Hanna]

Okay - I had the help of my Kindle being handy and my blog where I sometimes mention what I've bought/read... wink

I know there's more but hey - doing better than I thought I had wink .

Most are CBA [Christian/Inspirational - at least on this list]. I've also completed one manuscript this year [start to finish - at least two interested agents - squee!] and finished three others. I've read at least 3 other manuscripts for friends but I don't think they count since they're not actually books... So I guess the times I've read/reread mine don't count either wink .

Ah well! It works laugh .

Carol
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/16/11 08:57 PM
The Kingslayer Chronicles I: The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

Quite simply the best fantasy novel I've read this year. I was hooked right from page one and enthralled every step of the way. In my top ten list of all time favourites. One of those books where you keep sneaking a peek at the percentage at the bottom of your Kindle because you don't want to finish it too quickly and really don't want it to end at all.

Only fly in the ointment is that halfway through this first book I realised it's part of a trilogy. Book one was published in 2007. Book two..in March of this year. Book three? Who the hell knows? Not the author apparently, who doesn't even mention it on his webpage, although he's chockful of talk about his other projects. razz Why do I keep doing this to myself? You'd think I've have learned the hard lesson with Jordan and Martin. <sigh>

Ah well, at least book one didn't end on a cliffhanger.... It's going to be a heck of a long wait to get the rest of the story though.

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/19/11 09:10 PM
#39 -A Change in Altitude by Anita Shreve

Interesting relationship story about a couple that moved to Kenya.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/22/11 06:53 PM
The King's Rose - Alisa M. Libby

I found this to be a somewhat pedestrian telling of the marriage of King Henry VIII and Katherine Howard, told from Katherine's pov. Perhaps it was just too familiar a tale - it's not been that long since I was captivated by its playing out on The Tudors. But, regardless, I didn't feel I learned anything new or interesting here.

The Lady Elizabeth - Alison Weir

OTOH, the story of Elizabeth I, in all its parts, is one that I've seen told and retold endlessly over the years and, yet, I still found this telling to be absolutely enthralling and felt that I still was able to learn something fresh about this compelling woman as we travelled with her from being a child told of her mother's disgrace and execution to the moment she learns she is Queen of England. Absolutely fascinating.

The Left Hand of God - Paul Hoffman

Another fantasy trilogy that has made its way into my top ten list. I'll be waiting eagerly to read books two and three. One thing I especially liked with this one was that although the characters were recognisable as stalwarts of the genre, they were flawed enough that they behaved against type in many instances, which leant an unpredictablity to the story that's often missing in the world of fantasy novels. And although that's not something I have any issues with, it's nice now and then to break away from the norm.

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/24/11 12:56 PM
#40 House of Secrets by Tracie Peterson
Posted By: MrsLuthor Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/26/11 08:25 PM
Oh! I love this thread! I don't think I've read 50 books this year. I may have, but it doesn't feel that way. I re-read a ton of my favourites. I'm sure I've read more than I can actually remember, but I usually buy, read and then lend/donate/give away to a friend when I'm through, so my shelf is basically bare.

Let's see...

1. Burnt Toast - Teri Hatcher (of course)
2. The Psychopath Test - Jon Ronson
3. Snow Falling on Cedars - David Guterson (for school)
4. Othello - Shakespeare (for school)
5. The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawethorne (for school)
6. The Door to December - Dean Koontz
7. The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse - Robert Rankin
8. Running With Scissors - Augusten Burroughs
9. Wicked - Gregory McGuire
10. Son of a Witch - Gregory McGuire
11. A Boy Called 'It' - Dave Pelzer
12. A Man Named Dave - Dave Pelzer
13. The Book of Awesome - Neil Pasricha
14. The Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin
15. Discourse on the Method for Reasoning Well and for Seeking Truth in the Sciences - Rene Descartes (I have a secret love affair with philosophy tombs)

And currently reading:
16. Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
Posted By: carolm Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/26/11 09:23 PM
Joan - what did you think of House of Secrets?

Tracie was the keynote speaker at a recent writer's conference and they gave a copy of the book to everyone. I actually ended up with several [there were leftovers and I picked them up off the free table to use as gifts etc] but I've not had a chance to read it yet.

Carol
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/30/11 02:57 PM
The Lies of Locke Lamara - Scott Lynch

I seem to be on a roll with great fantasy novels lately and this was one of the best yet.

I just loved this, the first in the author's Gentleman Bs series (I won't annoy the gods of the mbs by typing the full title, but suffice it to say that these guys never had a father marked on their birth certificates wink ).

It's pretty much a book of two halves - the misadventures of our hero, Locke and his gang of scam artists in the present, interspersed with flashbacks showing the history of how he came under the wing of the Fagan-like Thiefmaker as an orphaned child and then learnt his trade under his mentor Father Chains as he grew up.

The two things I loved most about this were the thread of sly wit running through the book, which had me LOLing more than once, and the wonderful detail of the world the author has woven to set his story in. From mirror wine to Gentled animals to cat bridges made of spun Elderglass...it was beautifully rich and endlessly fascinating. But it also had all the great themes of the genre in spades - drama, adventure, comedy, betrayal, revenge, brotherhood, friendship....this is a book that I would love to see translated into a movie.

I can't wait to read the rest of this series.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Olive Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 10/31/11 06:06 PM
#37 Mulher em Branco - Rodrigo Guedes de Carvalho

After her son disappears a woman becomes amnesiac. That's the premise, but the book, although not my favorite from this author, is special in the way that portrays loss and grief - mostly through inner monologues of the several characters.

#38 Equal Rites - Terry Pratchett
#39 Mort - Terry Pratchett

By now, my monthly usuals. And, yeah, Granny Weatherwax is amazing.

#40 The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson

thumbsup Found this one by chance in the public library. I've read other books by Bryson and liked them but this one had the added bonus of helping me put in context (and quite by coincidence) the subject I was studying earlier in the month in one of my classes about media studies.

#41 A Spectacle of Corruption - David Liss

The adventures of Benjamin Weaver continue. I liked it, but I was a little confused at first with some of the plot twists. Still, it was a good read.

#42 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky

My accomplishment of the month. I was awed by the book - the way it conjugates plans of reality and dream, and how the author progresses the storyline in an apparently simple but oh so ingenious way. And most of all Raskolnikov's inner turmoils and decisions based mostly on coincidences. It's decided. One of these days I'll read the Brothers Karamazov.
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 11/02/11 01:47 PM
It was an interesting conflict. The love interest seemed too easy but the story was more about the three sisters and dealing with their past. While I'm a Christian and believe in what they were saying about faith, some of the dialogue in that regard seemed a bit unnatural.

Overall it was a good read.

Joan

Originally posted by carolm:
Joan - what did you think of House of Secrets?

Tracie was the keynote speaker at a recent writer's conference and they gave a copy of the book to everyone. I actually ended up with several [there were leftovers and I picked them up off the free table to use as gifts etc] but I've not had a chance to read it yet.

Carol
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 11/02/11 01:53 PM
#41 Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

An interesting story about how genetic engineering leads to the destruction of the world as we know it. I must admit that I preferred "The Handmaiden's Tale", also by this author.

#42 Baby Proof by Emily Giffin

Joan
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 11/04/11 08:55 AM
Storm Prey – John Sandford
Buried Prey – John Sandford

October Skies – Alex Scarrow

I wasn’t sure about this one but it grew on me in the end. A historical mystery – loosely inspired by the Donner Party – with a faint touch of the supernatural.

Last Light – Alex Scarrow
Afterlight – Alex Scarrow

I’ve always been fascinated by post-apocalyptic stories and these were among some of the best I’ve read. And made much more frightening for the fact that the cause of the end of the world as we know it – a sudden, abrupt loss of the world’s oil supply – seems all too real these days and easy to imagine. Especially when coupled with early scenes of an ordinary family going about their business - mum going for job interview, daughter at uni - which were all too easy to relate to and identify with.

Definitely one to make you think as you read with the TV news warbling in the background about world economic collapse via the Eurozone. laugh

LabRat smile
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 11/05/11 08:51 PM
The Dust of 100 Dogs – A S King

I was intrigued the moment I read the synopsis for this one:

In the late seventeenth century, famed teenage pirate Emer Morrisey was on the cusp of escaping the pirate life with her one true love and unfathomable riches when she was slain and cursed with 'the dust of one hundred dogs', dooming her to one hundred lives as a dog before returning to a human body - with her memories intact. Now she's a contemporary American teenager and all she needs is a shovel and a ride to Jamaica.
Sadly, the actual book didn’t really live up to its promise. I thought it could and should have been much sharper and wittier, with a lot more swashbuckling derring-do, drama, excitement, pirate adventure and romance than we actually got. I realise that this was a young adult book and so I’m not really the target audience, but, still, I expected more. An interesting idea not realised all that well, unfortunately.

Timeriders 2: Day of the Predator – Alex Scarrow

Now, this was more like it. Another YA book, but full of adventure and characters you were really rooting for. I’d like to read the rest of this series.

A Simples Life: The Life and Times of Aleksandr Orlov

Aleksandr Orlov is the star of a series of UK ads , in which he bemoans the idiot humans who keep mixing up his website CompareTheMeerkat.com with a car insurance site, CompareTheMarket.com. He and his catchphrase, “Simples!” have become something of a cultural icon and following on from this runaway TV success, he’s decided to give us his autobiography. A tale of meerkat courageousness and derring-do stretching through the ages. As a huge fan of Aleksandr, I giggled quite a bit through this.

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 11/10/11 04:14 PM
#43 Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

A touching futuristic tale, told from the first person, regarding the impact of technological advancements.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 11/12/11 08:31 AM
Live Wire – Harlen Coban

It’s taken a while for me to get to this latest instalment in the Myron Bolitar series – one of my favourites and one of those series where it feels more like revisiting old friends than reading a novel. As usual, Coben didn’t disappoint.

The Heretic’s Daughter – Kathleen Kent

The story of the Salem Witch Trials, told from the perspective of one family caught up in those terrible events, and in particular from 7YO Sarah Carrier. The novel vividly brings to life the terror and insanity of that short period of time when spite and malice brought death and misery to so many innocent lives. It poignantly invokes just how little evidence condemned so many to a brutal death and the absolute lunacy of the logic used against them.

But it’s much more than just the story of the trials. It’s also interwoven with the story of a mother and daughter and the effects the trials have on their relationship.

I didn’t learn until I’d finished this one that the author is a direct descendent of the Carrier family. In fact, I’d assumed throughout reading that Sarah, Martha and the Carrier family were fictional inventions thrust into the real history of the times. This was Kent’s first novel and I see that she’s written a prequel to this. I’d be very interested to read that and revisit such compelling characters.

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 11/13/11 09:10 PM
#44 Rescue by Anita Shreve
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 11/18/11 07:12 AM
Fat Vampire: A Never Coming of Age Story – Adam Rex

Another YA novel that I had to read after reading the blurb. And it turned out to be a strange mixture. If I’d written a review having read just the first half of it, it might have read like this:

You really have to feel sorry for Doug – an overweight, socially awkward nerd whose social status hasn’t really improved now that he’s become a vampire. He can’t persuade any hot girls to go out in the dark with him, the rest of the school just thinks he has a bad skin problem and even the vampire mentoring program leaves him trailing as the last to be selected, just like on school sports days. And as if that wasn’t bad enough – after an unfortunate incident when he tried to bleed a panda at the zoo – he’s got sleazy tabloid producer Alan and the cast of his tacky reality show Vampire Hunters on his tail. LOL funny.

But then, around the halfway mark, the book took a very different turn. The laughs were fewer, there was a distinctly dark undertone and Doug’s character changed into something meaner and less sympathetic. And then there was the ending. Which seemed to smack of the author either losing interest or not quite knowing what to do with his characters any more. Several were left without a resolution and the ending itself was abrupt and somewhat unsatisfying.

So, all in all, a terrific start, but it just didn’t pan out. Disappointing.

Protect and Defend - Richard North Patterson

Courtroom dramas have never been my favourite genre, but there have been exceptions over the years and RNP's novels have always been amongst them. I had the distinct niggling thought that I'd read this before, but if I have it's been so long ago that I remembered nothing of the plot, so it hardly mattered. RNP showed his usual deft hand in presenting all the difficult legal, ethical and personal issues surrounding the abortion debate, treating all sides with respect, but promoting the ultimate theme that when politics, religion and vested interests get involved in such matters, it's often the most vulnerable who get forgotten as they become pawns to be tugged back and forth amongst the point-scoring.

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 11/18/11 08:01 PM
#45 Dead Reckoning by Caitlin Rother
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 11/23/11 10:53 PM
#46 On Hummingbird Wings by Lauraine Snelling

Maybe I can actually make 50 before the end of the year smile1

Joan
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 11/29/11 09:32 AM
The Bone House – Brian Freeman

An entertaining little thriller. It suffered quite a bit from Too Stupid To Live syndrome; I spent quite a bit of time muttering, “For pity’s sake, what are you doing that for? Are you thick?” as most every character did something with the totally predictable results of digging themselves deeper into the hole or putting themselves in mortal danger. And I sussed out two of the ‘twist’ characters right from the get go. Note to author: if you don’t want to tip your hand don’t make one of those characters a teen reporter who is puzzlingly uninterested in the fact that her roommate might have witnessed a murder, rather than being gung ho to investigate her first major scoop! :rolleyes:

But for all of these flaws, I found myself on the edge of my seat throughout and thoroughly enjoyed this one.

The Tudor Secret (Elizabeth’s Spymaster I) – Christopher Gortner

A thoroughly enjoyable historical mystery. The author takes a ‘what if’ and weaves real historical characters with that of his protagonist, Brendan Prescott, a foundling thrust into the intrigue and danger of the Tudor court. Gortner breathes new life into the characters we know so well and mingles them with engaging ones of his own.

While checking the author’s name on Amazon for this entry, I discovered to my delight that it’s apparently book one in a series. I’ll be eagerly awaiting the others when they appear.

Blood Harvest – S J Bolton

Part murder mystery, part supernatural thriller, this was a terrifically atmospheric, creepy little story, populated with thoroughly likeable characters and with the chills offset by a warmly human romance and a deft touch of humour throughout.

LabRat smile
Posted By: Olive Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 11/30/11 09:23 AM
#43 - The prince - Niccolo Machiavelli

Mandatory for one of my classes. Not as machiavellian as I thought.

#44 - Relato de un naufrago - Gabriel García Márquez

Originally it was published in a colombian newspaper as a first hand account of a sailor who was adrift for several days. Years later, after García Márquez was already in exile in Paris, and it was known that he was the ghost writer behind the story it was published as a book. It's great.

#45 - Sourcery - Terry Pratchett

I liked it but it's not the same as the first two novels.

# 46 - Cien años de soledad - Gabriel García Márquez

I couldn't help it after "Relato de un naufrago". I had to read this one too. And it didn't disappoint.
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 12/02/11 09:22 PM
#47 Escape by Barbara Delinsky

This wasn't a bad book but I've enjoyed some of her other works much more than this one.
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 12/04/11 06:50 PM
Carrion Comfort – Dan Simmons

A dark short from this horror author. Willie, Melanie and Nina are ‘emotional vampires’, who have spent several lifetimes playing The Game – using The Ability to push humans into acts of atrocity/murder for which they get points, each vying to top the other’s acts of violence. Then Melanie tires of The Game and wants out…leading to all out war between her and Nina as they each use the humans around them as weapons to bump each other off. Darkly amusing, it reads better than it sounds. goofy

The Infection – Craig DiLouie

Post- apocalyptic zombie horror. I'm such a sucker for these. First there was the Falling Down – as millions around the world collapsed screaming. The world was in a state of shock. Then three days later, The Screamers woke up…and they were hungry.

The first two thirds of this one spent more time on the characterisations and relationships between a small band of survivors rather than zombie massacres, which made it more interesting. I lost a bit of interest in the last third, which dealt with an epic battle between the two.

Bone House – Betsy Tobin

Elizabethan England and the death of a village woman brings long-buried, dark secrets to light. An intriguing historical murder-mystery. Very enjoyable.

Darkness – Belinda Bauer

A superb psychological thriller – focusing less on the gruesome aspects of the murders themselves, than how they and the investigation affects the police and villagers caught up in them and is subverted by the personal agendas of everyone involved. Excellent stuff. Can’t wait to read her other two novels.
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 12/06/11 02:55 PM
#48- Boys Should be Boys, 7 Secrets to Raising Healthy Sons
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 12/07/11 10:22 AM
Arcadia Falls - Carol Goodman

Left penniless after the sudden death of her husband, Meg Rosenthal is forced to give up her comfortable life and take up a job at private college, Arcadia Falls, where old secrets of betrayal and murder wait.

An intriguing little romantic thriller in the style of Mary Higgins Clark (although I think Goodman's writing style is more surefooted and polished than MHC's). At times melodramatic, often contrived, yet the central characters were engaging enough to keep me up to the small hours reading and to have a lump in my throat at the ending. Hugely enjoyable.

LabRat smile
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 12/10/11 08:15 AM
#49 Summer Island by Kristin Hannah

This writer does a great job with relationships between women in her books and she doesn't disappoint with this book.
Posted By: scifiJoan Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 12/20/11 12:16 PM
#50 Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger

Great mystery about a woman who isn't who she thinks she is.

I didn't think I was going to make fifty books.

Yeah! jump
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 12/20/11 04:07 PM
Yay!! Well done, Joan! hyper

LabRat smile
Posted By: Olive Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 12/21/11 05:12 AM
# 47 - O Livro de Cesário Verde (Cesario Verde's book) - Cesário Verde

After the poet died, at age 32, his closest friend had this book published following Cesário's instructions. He left out the poems that embarrassed the poet and included the one's he wanted - including the last poem he ever tried to write (trying to delay death) and whose form is incomplete, but included in the book, nevertheless. Cesário Verde was one of those who never got to see his talent recognized in life, but is currently acclaimed as one of the greatest poets in portuguese realism.

I studied some of his works in school but recently found this little book that compilated most of his writings and couldn't resist it.

# 48 - Heat Wave - Richard Castle

# 49 - Naked Heat - Richard Castle

Just for fun reads. I've been watching the show and wanted to know what the books were all about. Entertaining.

And still one book to go to reach 50. (But I'll make it this year)
Posted By: Olive Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 12/24/11 10:31 AM
# 50 - Heat Rises - Richard Castle

dance
Posted By: LabRat Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 12/24/11 10:56 AM
Perfect Nightmare
The Presence
Second Child
Black Lightening
Shadows
Creature
The Manhatten Hunt Club
Darkness
Sleepwalk
Come the Blind Fury
Punish The Sinners
Suffer the Children

All by John Saul. I was in the mood for some uncomplicated, supernatural suspense and since I had a pile of JS books waiting....

Some were better than others and none were anything that would be remembered much after being finished, but they all passed an hour or so during my annual bout of pre-Christmas insomnia, were fairly short and met the Reading-Lite mood I was in, so I can’t complain. laugh

LabRat smile
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: 50 Book Challenge 2011 - 12/30/11 03:02 PM
Hey guys!

First time posting in this thread. I've picked up again reading books this past year, and I actually got a lot of new books recently. Some of them I've already read, some not yet. So I thought I'd make a list out of what I've read this year, see if they make it to 50. wink

First-time reads

In Greek:

1. The Spiderwick Chronicles - Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black
2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling (I had read it before, but in English)
3. Glimt Av Liv (Through Liv's Eyes) - Liv Nilsen Garras
4. A Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemingway
5. Zombie - Joyce Carol Oates
6. Kéraban-le-têtu (Kéraban the Inflexible) - Jules Verne
7. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - J.R.R. Tolkien
8. Echo Park - Michael Connelly
9. The Tea Rose - Jennifer Donnelly
10. &#922;&#945;&#953;&#961;&#972;&#962; &#931;&#954;&#949;&#960;&#964;&#953;&#954;&#972;&#962; (Kairos Skeptikos - Thoughtful Time) - Ioanna Karystiani
11. The Chimes - Charles Dickens

Re-reads

In Greek:

12. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
13. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
14. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling
15. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Joanne Rowling
16. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling
17. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling
18. The Cuckoo Clock of Doom - R.L. Stine
The Werewolf of Fever Swamp - R.L. Stine
19. &#921;&#972;&#955;&#951; &#942; &#932;&#951; &#925;&#973;&#967;&#964;&#945; &#960;&#959;&#965; &#926;&#949;&#967;&#949;&#943;&#955;&#953;&#963;&#949; &#964;&#959; &#928;&#959;&#964;&#940;&#956;&#953; (Ioli i Ti Nychta pou Xecheilise to Potami - Iolë, or The Night the River Overflowed) - Eleni Sarantiti-Panayiotou
20. &#931;&#953;&#957;&#953;&#940;&#955;&#945; &#956;&#949; &#922;&#945;&#952;&#961;&#941;&#966;&#964;&#949;&#962; (Siniala me Kathreftes - Mirror Signals) - Elsa Chiou
21. &#931;&#964;&#951;&#957; &#917;&#961;&#951;&#956;&#953;&#940; &#956;&#949; &#935;&#940;&#961;&#953; (Stin Erimia me Chari - Graceful in the Wilderness) - Zyranna Zateli
22. Deux Ans de Vacances (Two Years' Vacation) - Jules Verne
23. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
24. Le Maître de Forges (The Ironmaster) - Georges Ohnet
25. Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe (currently reading it, should finish it by tomorrow)

In English:
26. Witches Abroad - Terry Pratchett
27. Digital Fortress - Dan Brown
28. Deception Point - Dan Brown

Not even close!! Oh well. Much better than the previous few years anyway. And I had studying for the uni and a dissertation to take care of during the first semester of the year as well. (Oh, I did read back-to-back two of my books for uni. One of them several times as well. =D So can we round it to 30?)

I'll be joining you for the 2012 Book Challenge! smile Happy New Year!
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards