#28 - Poesia Completa - Florbela Espanca

The complete works of the poet who spoke of unattainable love and death. Usually I don't read poetry (unless it's Fernando Pessoa and his other personas) but found this book on the public library and just couldn't resist it. Florbela Espanca is as known for her tragic life as for her also tragic poetry (in the brief period of the first portuguese republic - 1910 to 1934 - she was married three or four times and made more or less the same number of suicide attempts - one of which was successfull). The book is more or less chronological and we can see the evolution of the poet and of her depression, as the themes become progressively more centered around death.

#29 - A Conspiracy of paper - David Liss

#30 The Coffee Trader - David Liss

Both books are historical romances and I must admit that the reason I was first drawn to them was because the main characters are either portuguese or of portuguese descent and jews during the dark period of the Inquisition. Still the Inquisition is just a shadow that passes here and there but of no real consequence since the novels are set in The Netherlands and England - countries where the jews were safe from the malpractices of the catholic church at that time. At the core they're stories of two distinct adventures and were a great entertainment for me.

#31 - Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt

I've been meaning to read this book for years and now that I did it surpassed my expectations. Apart from being a sort of biography, it's also a sort of sattire.

#32 - The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas père

The classic of the month. It was a good read.

#33 - The Light Fantastic - Terry Pratchett

I'm continuing to read the Discworld books (still have a long way to go...). So far it's being one of the best literary experiences I've ever had. (It's fun!!)

#34 - Purple Hibiscus - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

A wonderful book. The nigerian setting plays as great a part in the book as the characters.

#35 - Marina - Carlos Ruiz Zafón

A gothic romance set in Barcelona. I loved it, but then again, it has Barcelona in it. And a misterious mansion. And a character that is a homage to Frankenstein. And so on. But speaking more seriously, it made me reflect on the obsession of men to prolong their lives beyond the natural cycle.

#36 - Summer Crossing - Truman Capote

The last book I read in September is was publicated posthumously and it's an unfinished work. But nevertheless it's captivating. As the Summer crosses so does Grady grow. But...

Granny Weatherwax: 'You've got to think headology, see? Not muck about with all this beauty and wealth business. That's not important.'

Wyrd Sisters, Terry Pratchett