1. The Tipping Point
2. Outliers
3. What The Dog Saw
all by Malcolm Gladwell.
Essays about various topics, ranging from how the dogs view the "Dog Whisperer", an interview with Veg-O-Matic creator Ron Popeil, an investigation into the history of hair dye in America, and why the rate of syphilis in Baltimore leapt up (due to concatenation of tiny changes in unrelated factors.) All interesting, all well-written.

4. Tasting Fear
5. Hot Night
both by Shannon McKenna. Hot smutty romance. Recommended if you're in the mood for smut, otherwise don't bother.

6. Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George - YA novel, re-telling of a classic fairy tale. Recommended.

7. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson.
From the blurb on Amazon.com: "In her witty and wise debut novel, newcomer Helen Simonson introduces the unforgettable character of the widower Major Ernest Pettigrew. The Major epitomizes the Englishman with the "stiff upper lip," who clings to traditional values and has tried (in vain) to pass these along to his yuppie son, Roger. The story centers around Pettigrew's fight to keep his greedy relatives (including his son) from selling a valuable family heirloom--a pair of hunting rifles that symbolizes much of what he stands for, or at least what he thinks he does. The embattled hero discovers an unexpected ally and source of consolation in his neighbor, the Pakistani shopkeeper Jasmina Ali. On the surface, Pettigrew and Ali's backgrounds and life experiences couldn't be more different, but they discover that they have the most important things in common. This wry, yet optimistic comedy of manners with a romantic twist will appeal to grown-up readers of both sexes. Kudos to Helen Simonson, who distinguishes herself with Major Pettigrew's Last Stand as a writer with the narrative range, stylistic chops, and poise of a veteran." Recommended.

8. Brighty of the Grand Canyon by Marguerite Henry - don't laugh, I had to read this for my book club! And it was surprisingly good. Brighty, a wild and free burro, saves more than one life.

9. Little Grrl Lost by Charles deLint. More of deLint's urban fantasy. Elizabeth Tetty is a Little (think "the Borrowers" - that kind of Little) who wants to make her own way in the world. But it's a Big world out there... Recommended.

10. The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen. Not enough apothecary stuff and not enough romance for my taste. The novel left me wanting more of both. OK and good enough to read till the end, but not a book that I'll re-read.

11. Troubled Waters by Sharon Shinn. Zoe Ardelay's father has just died, and on the same day, an important messenger from the capital comes to take her away to be the king's fifth wife. More stuff happens. Recommended - I've pretty much liked everything I've read by Sharon Shinn. (BTW, Zoe doesn't end up marrying the king. Not too much of a spoiler since you find that out in the first three chapters.)

12. Was Superman A Spy? by Brian Cronin. Fascinating collection of comic book myths, legends, and stories. The title comes from 1945, where a Superman comic book story included a cyclotron (an "atom smasher"). Since nuclear power details were being closely held at the time, the FBI came and investigated. It turns out the writer of the comic had gotten the info about the cyclotron from an article in "Popular Mechanics" ten years earlier!