1. The Magickers vol 2 - Emily Drake

I was given the two volumes for Christmas. Jason Adrian was looking forward to soccer camp, until he sprained his ankle. Instead, he goes to an "academic" camp, where he learns that he is actually a "Magicker." He starts to learn about his Talent, and about the battle being waged against The Dark Hand. It's billed as the american Harry Potter.. the characters are good, and most of the story, but the writing leaves a bit to be desired. The author tends end the books abruptly, like she doesn't know what else to do with it. The series was dropped from the publisher, and I hear she'll be posting book 5 on her website.

2. Towers of Midnight - Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

Book 13 of the Wheel of Time series. This was actually a fairly quick read for such a huge book, compared to the middle of the series. Things are gearing up for the end, and there's only one book left in the series. There are times when you can tell who wrote which section (Robert Jordan tends to get a bit long-winded and detailed in his descriptions, for instance), but it meshes very well. Brandon Sanderson has done a great job taking over after RJ's death.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited