#6 Damaged - Alex Kava

I actually enjoyed this more than the other two - despite 101 reasons why I really shouldn't have. Like a protagonist who was such a minor, peripheral character that he made almost no impact on me; a slow beginning and an ending that seemed crammed into the final 10 pages and rushed; a subplot about dying soldiers which seemed pointless, even though it did tie in, slightly, towards the end....

It was saved by the inclusion of some interesting characters solely invented for this book. Sadly, I found the recurring characters, including Maggie, somewhat boring. And I do wish that Ms. Kava would make up her mind about Maggie's love interests. There's Nick - who I suspect Kava sees as a romantic character, but who strikes me as a complete stalker. Then we suddenly got two new guys whose relationship with Maggie is equally nebulous and hard to pin down.

I may be a little more cautious about rushing to buy the next novel in the series as I really think they're beginning to grow stale.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers