Well, wouldn't you know there were a few things I needed to add?

Clark Kent was definitely disappointing. I said in my previous post that Brandon Routh's Superman was somehow empty, but at the very least, I could imagine that his Kryptonian father's exhortations provided the motivations that he needed. But what motivates Clark Kent? The guy was sweet and not too dorky, but honestly, he was completely empty.

Richard White... gaaahhh! I hadn't expected it, but the guy gave me the creeps. Not because he seemed the least bit devious or anything. No, it just felt so horribly wrong to see him hold and kiss Lois. Please, please, these two people *don't* belong together!

The retro, somehow 1940s feeling to the whole movie.... Yes!!! I really liked it. There were a sufficient number of contemporary things in the movie to show us that the movie wasn't actually set in the 1940s, so the overall effect was a sense of timelessness, a feeling of how Superman belongs to many different times. I thought that was great!

Lastly, I must comment on something that Zoomway said over on her boards. She remarked on the Wizard of Oz parallel to this movie. In that movie, Dorothy left her Kansas home to go out into the world to seek for the wonders that she wanted to find. Eventually, though, she realized that everything she had been searching for had been back home in Kansas all the time.

Now compare this with SR. Superman goes to Krypton to find other Kryptonians, to find evidence that he is not the last of his kind. He finds only a dead and destroyed planet. But when he comes home - not to Kansas, but to Metropolis - he finds precisely that other Kryptonian that he has been looking for! Only this other Kryptonian is his own son. That was absolutely beautiful.

To me, what I like best hands down about this movie is that it gives Lois and Superman a child.

Ann