I'm adressing mainly Ann and Carol. You two have pointed out my bone to pick with the movie. Memory wipe is a gross violation of trust. Let's see how Singer resolves THAT little speedbump.

What strikes me about the situation is that I can see it happening. The characterization isn't off to me. I'm thinking back to one of my favorite fanfic's Gorn's Going, Going, Gone where a lovely quote sums it all up:

"Quickly, Lois was beginning to acquire Martha's lifetime apprehension that the man they both loved was going to self destruct in a moment of relentlessly good, and therefore two dimensional, thinking. "

And I believe this goes rather well with Singer's representation of Superman as savior. After all, what's the line between helping and playing God? In this view, it's interesting that the conclusion (well my conclusion anyway) is that Superman isn't perfect the memory wipe is another example of "two dimensional" thinking. Naivete at its best. My only problem is the really implausible turn at the end, not the hospital scene because the situation did seem dire, but rather Lois' simple acceptance afterward. As if she would be ok with the situation. That's not how I see her at all.

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png