Congratulations to all you lucky Americans who've been able to see the movie already! It opens here in Sweden on July 28. <grumble> I was in London last week but just my luck; it opens there on July 14.

Anyway, hugely, seriously thanks to you guys who discuss the movie here. Personally I can't be too spoiled, so the more you give away, the better I like it. But I really, really like to hear your personal opinions, too.

All Superman fans have different things that they like or dislike about the Superman mythos, so we will obviously like or dislike different things about the new movie. I know already that I'm going to squirm and be uncomfortable during the Lex Luthor sequences, wishing I could just fast forward the film through these parts. On the other hand, I honestly think I'm going to love the Jason parts. Not because I generally get any sort of huge kick out of the presence of kids in movies, but because of what I know about this particular child. Uhh, I really wish we could do this without spoiler warnings, but....
S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Okay, even though I haven't seen the movie, it appears certain that Jason is definitely Clark and Lois's child. I love that. I love the idea that they should have children. At the same time, weirdly enough, I'm totally uninterested in nextgen stories, where the focus is on the kid(s). (Okay, there is the odd gem of a story, such as Snave's Cherub and a lovely story from about last Christmas about a man falling in love with Superman's grown daughter.) Generally, though, I'm adamant that the focus should be on Lois and Clark themselves, but I love the idea that they should have children.

I have to admit to you that what I like best about the movie so far, now that I still haven't seen it, it that it does indeed give Lois and Clark a child. Honestly, people, I didn't dare hope that that would ever "officially" happen. Interestingly, it was another movie, "Superman II" that made it clear that Lois and Clark had made love at least once. At that time, I hadn't dared hope that that would ever "officially" happen. But to me, "Superman II" was also a terrible heartbreaker because it said that Superman and Lois could never make love again, unless Superman gave up his powers.

Now, it seems clear that "Superman Returns" is a continuation of "Superman the Movie" and "Superman II", and that Jason is the love child that was born out of Clark and Lois's lovemaking in the second movie. This, of course, leaves us with a host of questions. Has Lois really, truly forgotten about making love to Clark in "Superman II"? (Yes, she might well have, seeing that Clark gave her amnesia in that movie.) But when it becomes clear to her that Jason is indeed Superman's son, what is she going to say to him? And what it he going to say to her? And is there a chance for them as a couple, or is it still going to be impossible for him to make love to her as Superman? And what about Richard, who is the man that Jason considers his Dad? And what is Luthor going to do, now that he has apparently figured out who Jason is?

So many of these questions can only be answered by the sequel to "Superman Returns", of course. But, people, what do you think? Any thoughts?

Something else occurred to me. FoLCs, suppose you were allowed to write the script for the sequel. What would happen in it? Care to share? I'd really, really like to hear your thoughts on that one!!!! smile

Ann