LOL! This reminds me of an argument I used to have with my dad about the pronunciation of the word "rewound" (as the past tense of "rewind.") I'd said I "re-wownd" the tape, and he'd insist that it was "re-woond", and I'd say, "No, Dad, 're-woond' is if you stab the tape with a knife, and then stick it again!"

Seriously, I think that no one should be expected to automatically know the pronunciation of "Routh," and the only reason we know it is because it has been specifically told to us. In any case, wasn't there some famous baseball player or someone whose surname was Ruth? I agree with Labby -- what difference does it make?

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

I also wanted to say -- I take back what I said before about Lois having broken up with Richard by the end of the movie. After watching the movie 5 times, I now think she's still with him -- she's also still wearing a ring on her left 4th finger in the final scenes, which I believe is her engagement ring.

I love that her engagement ring is not your usual diamond solitaire. I love that Lois Lane would be different and unique, and would wear a black stone (looked like onyx to me.)

And I love that Richard would know her well enough to realise that smile

I just noticed that in scene when Supes takes Lois flying, he flies them past her house and she looks at the seaplane, and thinks of Richard (after all, he doesn't take her flying "like this") and then looks at the ring on her left hand -- at which point, Supes, who is holding her left hand, moves it so that she can't see it anymore! (I love how there is so much in the movie that is actually NOT said.)

But still, by the end of SR, Richard has realised that Lois is in love with Supes, so the seeds of discord have been sown -- I'm looking forward to see how they explore the situation in the next movie!

-Jude

"Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
--Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996