But, as LabRat and others have pointed out over and over, the law is far from the only reason these systems developed. Helga's right; when this fandom started there were a lot of under-18s around.
And since the laws against obscenity, as far as I can tell, doesn’t demand this level of constrained access, I failed to see how it could be a reason at all.

But you've had this explained to you ad nauseam now - I know that many of the posts in this thread are now repeating themselves. So I'm wondering what's left that you don't understand about the reasoning?
Concerning why the current system is in place? Not much really, but there are several other discussions going on that I find interesting.

The system's not going to change - particularly as there seems to be no demand at all for it to change, other than your own suggestion.
So I noticed, am I not allowed to discuss the subject then? Because if I don’t I will of course desist. Really Wendy, I’m not storming any barricades, even if I've apparantly given you that impression.

Is this now a case of flogging an extremely dead horse?
Not IMO. Caroline’s posts that were very late in the thread has done the most to enlighten me.

1.The use of Password protection isn’t unusual by fanfic standards apparently (which was my impression)
2.Minor issues can cause a lot of friction in a community that are rather passionate about their beliefs, separation keeps this down. (Labrat mentioned this originally) (I’m starting to understand that too wink ).
3.Copyright holders can chose to take legal action if they find the fanfic offensive.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...