On the last subject, I have also known some people who would just describe the other person in the relationship as "friend" until they married. "Significant Other" might work, except at times it is used as a synonym for spouse. She could always try to revive "lady friend" or "gentleman caller", but those have baggage of actual use, while "manfriend" and "womanfriend" just have the problem that as not-sued terms, is it clear they mean what we intent. We could always use "romantic male friend", because "Male friend" without the romatic almost seems like an attempt to say "he is not my boyfriend", but that is so long. Plus "Romatic woman friend" is even longer.

There might be multiple issues with Clark almost calling Lois "Ultragirl", and I am very glad he got "Ultrawomen" said instead. However, I think something like "Radwoman" would have been better (OK, maybe not rad, but my point is about syllables). The problem with "Superwomen" vs. "Superman", is "Superwoman" is longer by a whole syllable. "Superlady" does not help any. So you get "Supergirl", "Superlass", "Superchick" or "Superdame". Hmm, maybe she should have been "Ultradame". However, I think the term "dame" has too much baggage to work. "Ultragal" does not seem to be as bad as "Ultragirl", but still not as respect commanding as "Ultrawoman".

John Pack Lambert