I'm thinking the canon line dancing scene was building more friendship with light flirtation, not technically a date.
Peobably true. Lois going to the Kerths with Clark near the start of Season 2 was not technically a date either, since they are able to have their "almost first date" later on, so of course line dancing in Smallville was not a date.

Yes, I always wondered about that line. Does Superman have "flying dates" with Lois? Or does he mean, "I'll save Earth, and then I'll come back and save you some more"?
I think the former. Of course that means that Clark has been shooting himself in the foot a lot more than what we saw in PML. No wonder Lois was shocked with his not being willing to fully express his love for him in BatP, after all their flying dates and what not.

And then in season 2 we get "Church of Metropolis" where Superman does "real dancing" with Lois. What, has Clark decided at that point to live having two girlfriends, one for SM and one for CK? OK, maybe he has not fully accepted Mayson as a girlfriend, but still.

John Pack Lambert