Small nitpick, Elisabeth.

By the way I keep hearing about how society invented marriage, but we don't have any evidence of that. It is just as likely that marriage was around before society. Both institutions predate our written records.
Can you really have marriage if you don't have a society? Marriage is an institution, but can you have an institution if you don't have a society?

I know. It says in the Bible that Eve was Adam's wife. Well, there was no society around back then, assuming you believe that the Bible tells the truth about the origins of humanity. Still the Bible calls Eve Adam's wife:

But for Adam [h] no suitable helper was found. 21 So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

23 The man said,
"This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called 'woman, [k] '
for she was taken out of man."

24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

25 The man and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.
We see no ceremony uniting Adam and Eve, apart from what Adam says about a man leaving his father and his mother to be united with his wife, so that they will be one flesh. (It is quite interesting that Adam is talking about a man leaving his father and his mother, since Adam himself can certainly have no knowledge of what it means to have a mother. Conceivably God can be seen as his father.) Anyway, I don't think we can see an official ceremony uniting Adam and Eve, but even so they were apparently married.

What about Adam and Eve's children? They would have to marry their sisters and brothers, since no other people would be available. (And if there were other people there as well, then the creation of Adam and Eve just wouldn't be all that it is cracked up to be.) Anyway, through what ceremony would Adam and Eve's children be united in marriage? How could we know which of them was married to whom? Would it be enough that Adam's sons repeated their father's words about a man leaving his father and mother to be united with his wife?

When there existed more 'official' societies, it would probably not be enough for a man to repeat Adam's words for him to be married to the woman he had chosen.

So, Elisabeth, is it really possible to have marriage without a society?

Ann