I'm not going to weigh in on the topic itself, but I've seen what Vicki's talking about.

I think part of it is that the most vocal supporters are *generally* [not all, but all I've ever seen] the... more vehement supporters. The same is true of just about any cause. The most vehement/vocal/radical supporters [or opposition] *tend* to think that of those that are on the other side and can't [or don't] engage in reasoned debate but resort to name-calling etc.

The 'normal' folk are more likely to be like Labby, Wendy and Kathy and the rest on the boards, IMO. [Not that Labby, Wendy, Kathy or anyone else around is actually *normal*. /runs for cover wink ] Most of them are calm, reasoned people who can - and do - participate in rallies, but aren't the 'agree or die' radical types. The 'agree or die' radical types are the one who tend to get on the news and in everyone else's faces while Labby, Wendy, Kathy, etc will engage in a reasoned debate but aren't going to get in your face about it no matter what the original topic of conversation [you know, where you start talking about the weather in line at the grocery store and ten minutes later are listening to a tirade about *fill in the blank topic*].

That's my impression of the people you're talking about, Vicki. You've met, read, etc the radicals, not the everyday supporters.

The same is true of radical pro-lifers, radical pro-abortioners [as opposed to pro-choicers, though I've met a few really radical of those folks [not folcs]], radical pro/anti-anything [hunting, gun ownership, legalizing drugs, adoption/foster care by gay couples [which my husband, who is anti to disinterested in the gay marriage thing, fully supports due to his work with kids in foster care], etc], not just those on either side of the gay marriage debate.

Does that make sense?
Carol