I can only speak for myself, so please don't take this as a blanket statement. I want to explain why I'm opposed to "gay marriage". I use quotes because, to me, the word "marriage" is the issue here.

To me, marriage is a holy sacrament between a man, a woman and God. I was raised ultra-conservative and, while I've certainly overcome most of the "thou shalt nots" of my early years, marriage is still sacred to me.

If equal rights for all is our end goal, can we call it something else? A civil union. Or a domestic partnership. Or something, anything, else. I have no issues whatsoever with any intelligent and well-adjusted person of any color, creed, race or sexual orientation having the right to inherit their life partner's property, or take on their legal responsibilities or adopt children or any of the other rights that a married couple can assume.

Is it asking so much to reserve the word "marriage" for one man/one woman?

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you've made up your mind that you just aren't doing anything productive for the rest of the day.

"It's Dean Cain, Grandpa. He lives in our chair." G.R.I.P.E.S