I noticed that the replies are unanimous in rejection of this article (and an implied acceptance of same-sex marriage).

Marcus asks how heterosexual marraige is harmed by acceptance of same-sex marriage.

Karen compares a child born to a heterosexual couple with one adopted by a homosexual couple, and asks who can say which upbringing is really better overall.

Wendy asks if children are not better off being raised by a homosexual couple than by a single parent.

Capes asks for more data on why marriage should be defined as a legal agreement for reproduction in this day and age of divorce and childless couples.

Wendy, Groobie, Cape Fetish, and Allie all give anecdotal evidence of happy, well-adjusted same-sex unions.

To all of the above I offer the same set of questions:

1. Do you believe society has the right to define and regulate marriage? For example, in our society a person cannot marry (a) a minor*, (b) a sibling, parent, or other close relative, (c) a person who is already legally married, and (d) a person of the same sex. Do you believe our society has no right to place any of these restrictions on marriage, or do you simply believe that restriction d is unfair and unjust?

2. If you believe that society has the right to place restrictions on marriage (such as a, b, and c, above), what should the criteria be? How should society determine which restrictions to apply?

3. Are your questions retorical? If opponents of same-sex marriage could provide honest and valid answers to your questions above, and to any other questions you might have regarding the affects of same-sex marriage on society as a whole and children in particular, would you rethink your acceptance of same-sex marriage?

* - with some exceptions, such as the age of the minor, and parental permission. Still, our society has defined the exceptions it will allow.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster