#39 The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

The second book in the Heroes of Olympus series, this one follows a different group of demi-gods, all part of the Prophecy of Seven. Here we reconnect with Percy Jackson, who, like Jason in the previous book, has no memories of who is really is. He makes his way to Camp Jupiter, in New Rome, and befriends Frank and Hazel. Hazel is the daughter of Pluto and Frank...well, when his godly father is revealed, he isn't happy. Together, the three travel to Alaska, the land beyond the gods, to do battle with the giants Polybotes and Alcyoneus, recapture the Roman's eagle standard, and make it back to Camp Jupiter to hopefully aid in the war that is coming to the Romans.

I liked this book a lot better than the first one. First, we reconnect with Percy, who I find to be the most interesting character in the series. And second, the pacing was a lot better. Whereas the first one constantly jumped around from POV to POV, this one would follow one character for a few chapters at a time, eliminating the annoying whiplash-like effect that the first book had.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon