74) Survival in The Killing Fields by Haing Ngor despite my love of history (especially military history) I tend to avoid books or documentaries that deal with genocide as I find it too upsetting. Ngor would win the Oscar for his portrayal of Dith Pran a survivor of the infamous Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, but there were few people who knew that he himself was a survivor of the brutal regime. This is a memoir that is raw, powerful and eye opening.

75) The Trouble with Taiwan: History, the United States and a Rising China by Kerry Brown and Kalley Wu Tzu Hui Taiwan is one of those interesting anomalies: a self-governing island nation with a unique culture and economy yet at the same time not officially recognised as a nation state by the major world powers. This is clearly not written for those already familiar with the quandary Taiwan is in as China tries to tighten the noose on Taiwan to force reconciliation in mind because nothing presented is new to me, but it does do well to untangle the complicated web that Taiwan is.

76) The Narrow Corridor: States, Societies and the Fate of Liberty by Daron Acemoglu and James A. Robinson this is the sequel to Why Nations Fail. Like it’s predecessor, it does end up being repetitive in its arguments, but still an interesting look into what leads to the loss of liberty and a failed society. This though is much more academic that the previous book so I did struggle a little more with it.

Last edited by Crazy_Babe; 11/13/21 07:44 AM.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller