61) The Silk Road: Two Thousand Years in the Heart of Asia by Frances Wood in keeping with my recent reads on Central Asia and the Silk Road this is an overview of the history of the Silk Road. This particular edition of mine is by the Folio Society and is beautifully illustrated and presented.

62) Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger wonderful travel memoir of a journey through the Arabian desert. Of course much changed in these parts since then, but it was great to look at the lives of the nomadic Bedu people.

63) Istanbul: City of Majesty at the Crossroads of the World by Thomas F. Madden I will admit to having higher expectations for this when I picked it up, but ended up rather disappointed as it didn’t quite provide a more in-depth history of Istanbul as I would have liked.

64) Genghis Khan: Conqueror of the World by Leo de Hartog I was again hoping for a more thorough biography of Genghis Khan, but while it does offer snippets into his life, it concentrates more on his exploits rather than the man himself

65) The Ottoman Empire by Lord Kinross great volume into the rise and fall of the Ottoman Empire.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller