You're absolutely right, they're YAs and not meant to be the novel of the century... I know. But I've got to say that I've read many a YA book written from the POV of a teenage girl which were much better. (Hello, Meg Cabot fan here. <g>)

I'm not so much bothered about the loyalty to the myth. There are lots of spins on vampires in fiction and mythology. For example, vampires on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Supernatural are quite differently portrayed.

What did bother me is that she made him too physically perfect and beautiful - changing eyes, glittering skin, a perfect body and a perfect face. I can't see him, so what I'm more interested in is his personality, and he often comes across as kind of condescending and cold.

In addition, he seems to need someone else to know about him and Bella as an incentive to bring her home alive - so he and his family stay out of trouble. Having your girlfriend stay alive is not enough of an incentive, apparently, and he tells Bella as much. when he calls her suicidal and also insinuates that without him watching out for her, she wouldn't survive a week. If I were her, I doubt I'd have been swooning over him.

Anyway, I'll look forward to the movie! I definitely want to see what they make of it. Maybe it will make me connect with the characters better (and poor Jess and Mike might even get a few lines).

The main actor is definitely hot! laugh

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)