I love my electic kettle for tea water!
Electric kettles: you have to remember that the US has 110 volt mains, rather than 220/240 volt. Half the voltage, a quarter of the power - it'll take four times as long to boil your kettle. (Unless you double the current, which causes its own problems.)
True. But with an automatic off, the water still boils and waits for you to come back. It's only a few minutes more. So 110 isn't that much longer than 220. A benefit of 110 volts is that we don't have circuit breakers on every line as a safety measure. We have circuit breakers for sections of the house.
As to pot noodles, they're sold here in the US as "Cup of Noodles" (dessicated noodles with seasonings in a little packet) or Top Ramen, which comes instant (boiled water poured into styrofoam cup) or boil-on the stove. They were lifesavers in the office when you could have a hot meal with your tea water pot. The main objection as I understood it was that they are high in salt content and thus not good for you.
Also at McDonalds in Hawaii you can get Saimin there with your meal. It's a noodle-based soup oriental style and very good. Look here: http://www.aloha-hawaii.com/dining/saimin/
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis