OK, this topic may have been covered already, and if so, sorry. And I mean this totally and completely as a fun and entertaining exercise, not as an opportunity for anyone to say "My way is better." But I thought it would be a kick to see if we could demonstrate some of the ways that UK English differs from US English.

Now, I'm not talking about different words, such as boot vs. trunk or diapers vs. nappies. More in the way that words are ordered, used, or included/left out.

To start off, I'll list a couple of ones I've noticed.

Got vs. Gotten
UK version: Clark had got his reindeer sweater from his mother, and, as such, he was hurt when Lois laughed out loud.

US Version: Clark had gotten his reindeer sweater from his mother, and, as such, he was hurt when Lois laughed out loud.

Carers vs.Caregivers
UK version: Martha and Jonathan had been Clark's carers ever since they'd found him in Shuster's field, twenty five years ago.

US version: Martha and Jonathan had been Clark's caregivers ever since they'd found him in Shuster's field, twenty five years ago.

I know I'll think of more, but these two came to the top of my head.

Any others? This could be highly educational. Oh, and I'd love to see how other forms of English differ as well (Australian? Canadian?) wink

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah