I could say a lot here since one part of a lecture that I gave to my students was about regional differences in language and how they come about (pronounced a-boot) here in Canada laugh but I'd like to spend my time addressing the "lawyer" issue.

My husband was called to the bar many, many years ago and he had to say two oaths--one as a barrister and the other as a solicitor. Yet, when asked what he does for a living, he says that he's a lawyer. My cousin in New York,on the other hand, when asked, says he's an attorney.

My husband's letter head identifies him as a Barrister and Solicitor. My cousin's identifies him as an Attorney-at-law.

As far as the "who/whom" issue is concerned, I'd like to say that what has happened is that the grammatically correct has been overshadowed by what sounds better. This isn't regional. I think it has more to do with the difference between writing and speaking, and in writing the purpose of the particular piece.

And when I go to the theatre, I favour good behaviour from the audience members. :rolleyes:

gerry (who's going back to lurking)