You’re assuming all this happened on prom night? There were plenty of nights before then it could have happened.
Hmm, I guess you are right. His observation about Lana just going with Hank because he was more likely toenable her winning as Prom Queen caused me to think that. I guess I forgot that Lana liked to bounce from boy to boy.

This Rachel died at 17. He was a year older, so it could have been considered statutory rape. So, best not to bring it into the equation at all. It just adds to the confusion.
Actually, I doubt that. In many states statuory rape requires the victim to be under the age of 17, and generally if the potential vicim is at least 16, even in states where 17-year-olds can be statutory rape victims, there is generally some sort of sliding scale rule, so very few states consider sexual relations between an 18-year-old and a 17-year-old to be statutory rape. 19-year-old and 17-year-old and 18-year-old and 16-year-old maybe, but generally not 18-year-old and 17-year-old.

I actually looked it up. In Kansas once someone turns 16 staturoy rape is not possible. Even in New York once someone is 17 it is not possible. I know Michigan has passed recently laws that make sexual relations between teachers and any student, even if the student is 18, illegal, but I do not think any such laws existed in the 1980s, and even if they did they would not apply here.

John Pack Lambert